• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you think of tarantula youtubers?

I actually got started in the hobby from seeing DTG, still love her anytime I ask a question she answers I loved how she did breeding. I also watch dark den, spiderman and Mark love Tom Moran his husbandry is my go to. Haven't seen new content from spiderman in a while, watch Dark Den more for entertainment purposes.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I actually got started in the hobby from seeing DTG, still love her anytime I ask a question she answers I loved how she did breeding. I also watch dark den, spiderman and Mark love Tom Moran his husbandry is my go to. Haven't seen new content from spiderman in a while, watch Dark Den more for entertainment purposes.
The deadly tarantula girl is great...I've done breeding projects and trades in the past with her. She wasn't allowed to join the Facebook youtubers group because Tarantula kat was jealous of her looks and breasts. They constantly down talked her...it was a sad group to be in.

Checkmate

Formerly 'voldemort'
3 Year Member
I like informational channels that deal with breeding, habitats, identification, etc. I don't bother watching videos of rehousings and feedings. I do enough of those in real life. TK is one of the worst because she doesn't know much about tarantulas and it shows. Only cares about subscriptions. She's just a groupie of the more well known hobbyists. You can tell who is only doing these videos to be a "youtube star" because their mug is in like 70% of the video. I hoped to start one sometime this year (now delayed) but more on spiders in the wild (webs, hunting, identification, etc).

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The deadly tarantula girl is great...I've done breeding projects and trades in the past with her. She wasn't allowed to join the Facebook youtubers group because Tarantula kat was jealous of her looks and breasts. They constantly down talked her...it was a sad group to be in.
While I don't watch her regular videos very much, the live interviews she conducts with others in the hobby (reptile or invert) are quite interesting. She is actually one I have on my list if I can't find anyone else to utilize my male B. emilia when he matures.

BUNYAN

I would love to hear what everyone thinks of tarantula youtubers? Or general animal/husbandry channels.

Love them then great! Hate em then great too! Let's hear everyones opinion!

Who do you watch? General thoughts? Just keep it clean lol. This is a very polarizing subject and controversial to boot.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!
Some I find very informative . Others I think put a blemish on the hobby. Then there are the ones who just seem to want to turn youtubing into a money generator. Imo, there are about 10 solid youtube channels that are beneficial to hobbyists . Channels such as Tom's big spider, Tarantula Haven, Mark's Tarantulas as examples. There are many more I could list. I considered list some ones that dont do any good for the hobby but I think that with the poor husbandry use to make the spiders bolty and defensive they are self evident to any informed keeper of arachnids. I just hope new comers to the hobby dont see these lesser channels (granted they have a high subscription members) as a real way to house and handle arachnids. Anyways just my 2 cents.
Cheers all

Rallyflowbro

So I was deathly afraid of spiders until I began watch the dark den, exotics lair, and the Tarantula collective. I got over my fears purchased my first T which was an Avic Avic had him for about a month before he passed away due to unforeseen circumstances. I then decided to pick up 3 Brachypelma Albopilosum slings. Of course they (mainly exotics lair) make their T videos a little more exciting by not taking more precaution but if it weren't for them I wouldn't have gotten over my fears of spiders.

Adelene

I really like exotics lair, the dark den. Tom Moran and tarantula Kat. Sure they aren’t perfect but I really learn from them. Exotics lair actually got me into the hobby tbh. After a years worth of research of course lol. These are my babies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I really like exotics lair, the dark den. Tom Moran and tarantula Kat. Sure they aren’t perfect but I really learn from them. Exotics lair actually got me into the hobby tbh. After a years worth of research of course lol. These are my babies.
They sure look good!

Soulman

I would love to hear what everyone thinks of tarantula youtubers? Or general animal/husbandry channels.

Who do you watch? General thoughts? Just keep it clean lol. This is a very polarizing subject and controversial to boot.

Just take it as ,it's not the bible.I found it helpfull in different areas.And sum members are on youtube.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I was deathly afraid of spiders until I began watch the dark den, exotics lair, and the Tarantula collective. I got over my fears purchased my first T which was an Avic Avic had him for about a month before he passed away due to unforeseen circumstances. I then decided to pick up 3 Brachypelma Albopilosum slings. Of course they (mainly exotics lair) make their T videos a little more exciting by not taking more precaution but if it weren't for them I wouldn't have gotten over my fears of spiders.
That'll be where you went wrong ;). I no longer watch dark den or exotics lair. Recently petkos h sp Colombia died due to his lack of care. Rather than take responsibility and let his viewers know why it died he blamed it on something else (impaction I think)

NorseDad

I wouldn't be in the hobby if not for the YouTube tarantula community. Hell, I wouldn't be catching and releasing the giant wolf spiders and huntsmen that come into my house now instead of squishing them like I used to if it weren't for the YouTube community. Watching these people happily interacting with these gigantic spiders is what made me reevaluate my stance on arachnids. It broke my fear and started what has now become an obsession.

For information, Tom Moran is my tarantula care guru. I always look for a husbandry guide video on a species from him first to get a good overview, followed by recent posts from here and arachnoboards.

I have to shout out The Tarantula Collective as well. I think he has good information, but I am one of the few I guess who isn't a big fan of his voice. To me, it sounds like an over exaggerated movie trailer narrator. Just my opinion. The content is most important though, and he does a good job.

I love Dark Den for entertainment and his personality. He is also one of my favorite channels for DIY enclosure stuff since he does everything step-by-step.

Exotics Lair is the first tarantula YouTuber I watched (watering videos), so I have to give the guy some love. He is certainly entertaining, though the more I learn and keep myself, the more I find myself disagreeing with some of the practices he does in his videos.

Tarantula Haven can talk way too much in his videos, but he seems like such a friendly guy. I'm also a fellow Floridian, and I like to see what he's doing and vendors he uses. His Repticon videos are how I learned Beasley's Exotics was 10 minutes from my house.

Tarantula Kat does an okay job too. I'm not sure if I'm just not a fan of her presentation of vlog-esque type videos, but she does a decent job. I do like when she reviews commercially available products like she did for that critter burrow thing.

A final note is all the phone camera small channels out there. The ones where its just regular people trying to rehouse their first T, or they are dealing with their first OW. These are the people I identify with and give me the courage as a beginner to try things.

Overall, I think YouTube is great for keepers. It gets more people into the hobby. It allows people to see what keeping is like and reduces the stigma surrounding spiders. I don't think I would have ever started if not for YouTube, let alone gotten my wife to agree to let me start keeping them. Just the other night, my wife said she likes tarantulas but still hates jumping spiders. I showed her a Dark Den video of his jumping spider Kiwi, and she changed her mind in 10 minutes!

As long as people understand that they need to reference multiple sources for good information and that a big part of most YouTube channels is entertainment, it's an overall positive.

Soulman

I wouldn't be in the hobby if not for the YouTube tarantula community. Hell, I wouldn't be catching and releasing the giant wolf spiders and huntsmen that come into my house now instead of squishing them like I used to if it weren't for the YouTube community. Watching these people happily interacting with these gigantic spiders is what made me reevaluate my stance on arachnids. It broke my fear and started what has now become an obsession.

For information, Tom Moran is my tarantula care guru. I always look for a husbandry guide video on a species from him first to get a good overview, followed by recent posts from here and arachnoboards.

I have to shout out The Tarantula Collective as well. I think he has good information, but I am one of the few I guess who isn't a big fan of his voice. To me, it sounds like an over exaggerated movie trailer narrator. Just my opinion. The content is most important though, and he does a good job.

I love Dark Den for entertainment and his personality. He is also one of my favorite channels for DIY enclosure stuff since he does everything step-by-step.

Exotics Lair is the first tarantula YouTuber I watched (watering videos), so I have to give the guy some love. He is certainly entertaining, though the more I learn and keep myself, the more I find myself disagreeing with some of the practices he does in his videos.

Tarantula Haven can talk way too much in his videos, but he seems like such a friendly guy. I'm also a fellow Floridian, and I like to see what he's doing and vendors he uses. His Repticon videos are how I learned Beasley's Exotics was 10 minutes from my house.

Tarantula Kat does an okay job too. I'm not sure if I'm just not a fan of her presentation of vlog-esque type videos, but she does a decent job. I do like when she reviews commercially available products like she did for that critter burrow thing.

A final note is all the phone camera small channels out there. The ones where its just regular people trying to rehouse their first T, or they are dealing with their first OW. These are the people I identify with and give me the courage as a beginner to try things.

Overall, I think YouTube is great for keepers. It gets more people into the hobby. It allows people to see what keeping is like and reduces the stigma surrounding spiders. I don't think I would have ever started if not for YouTube, let alone gotten my wife to agree to let me start keeping them. Just the other night, my wife said she likes tarantulas but still hates jumping spiders. I showed her a Dark Den video of his jumping spider Kiwi, and she changed her mind in 10 minutes!

As long as people understand that they need to reference multiple sources for good information and that a big part of most YouTube channels is entertainment, it's an overall positive.
At the same time,there trying to get your attention.some do try to be like that Australia guy.I've seen a few.

Dave burr

I love them trantula collective for awesomeness! Dark den for comedy and petko! Tom moran for information and trantula haven is a good shout too!

smallbike

3 Year Member

smallbike

3 Year Member
When I started in 1981...
0 research
0 books in the hobby
0 youtubers
0 online sites
0 forums
0 help what so ever
It's all common sense...people make it much harder then it really is.
View attachment 44274This is little Shelly... shes about 10 years older then youtube.:D
Shelly is amazing! My only T is a seemanni and it always makes me feel great when someone with multiple species loves their seemanni like I do :)

ladymarcelene

I think that there is a lot of misinformation about tarantulas on the internet and from youtube’s specifically, but the majority of my experience watching youtubers has been really positive! I specifically watch The Dark Den, The Tarantula Collective, and Tom’s Big Spiders, and all three are extremely educational and obviously have a lot of experience in the hobby. I’d highly recommend looking into their videos!

Latest posts