• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Well then.

Ophidia

3 Year Member
My lovely B. vagans, which was sexed as a female when I bought it (and I paid the female premium), just molted this past weekend. She's now sporting some fancy masculine tibial apophysis and has some big burly palpal bulbs. I'm not sure when she went in for gender reassignment surgery, but the surgeon definitely did an excellent job.

The good news is he's still beautiful. Too bad I have a lot less time with him now than I originally thought.

So it goes.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
That sucks. I never fully believe when I'm told if a T is a female. A lot of people out there just don't know what they're doing, or just lie

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh no! Man, that's no good at all. Do you think the dealer was clueless or deceptive?

I always worry about that when I purchase sexed females, and I try to sex them by molt as soon as possible to be sure. So far, so good...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Either way, clueless or deceptive, that's foul play. You don't sell a tarantula as a sexed female unless it's confirmed by molt, by the seller. Doesn't matter if it's 1 inch or adult. It's either a female or it isn't. None of this vent sexing, guessing crap. That's just not good enough when you're taking peoples money.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Backwater reptiles has done this to me before. Hence why I stopped buying from them a while ago.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would certainly not be happy about that if I paid a premium to get a female.
Ditto that. I'd be calling or emailing the vendor demanding they set it right. Like others have said that's the main reason i get unsexed slings. That and i just like to watch them grow into their colors :)

Latest posts