• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird webs

Sophie B

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm a new member on this site and I have two tarantula's, a Mexican fireleg and a Chilean rose hair, recently my fireleg has been making weird webs which start near the top of his viv and finish on the floor, they look like strands a house spider might make, I have looked on the internet but can't find anything about tarantulas making these kinds of web, I have no idea how he's made them, does anyone know if this is normal behaviour ?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm a new member on this site and I have two tarantula's, a Mexican fireleg and a Chilean rose hair, recently my fireleg has been making weird webs which start near the top of his viv and finish on the floor, they look like strands a house spider might make, I have looked on the internet but can't find anything about tarantulas making these kinds of web, I have no idea how he's made them, does anyone know if this is normal behaviour ?
Hello Sophie and welcome to the forum and "addiction".
Your B. boehmei is just making its enclosure more to its liking. As far as the strands of webbing, it might not be finished with the construction process. Tarantulas are nocturnal creatures doing fascinating work as most humans are sleeping.
Webbing its enclosure, normal, serves as alarm system for prey and predators. Also used as a means of location in its surroundings.
Another cause, if its a recent rehousing, is the substrate may be too moist for its liking. Allow it to dry out and keep a water dish full for humidity and the rare drink should it desire.
IME/IMO webbing is not a concern versus NOT webbing would be. Btw, if you can, a picture of the entire enclosure would be helpful.
Hope this is helpful to you.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas will leave strands of silk everywhere. It would help to know the gender and size of each spiders. It could be a mature male creating a sperm web or simply getting ready to molt. To be honest though, it just sounds like a tarantula making itself at home.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@RedCapTrio : This is my new G. Actaeon's webbing around its hide (you can just see its legs in the background).
F8vfJlz.jpg

With the exemption of my GBB sling none of my other terrestrials really web like this. My G. Rosea had spun a web "highway" all around her enclosure but she doesn't really do any maintenance on it. My B. Boehmei sometimes webs up where he digs, probably to prevent the substrate to go back into the ditch. Other than that they just web feeding and molting mats.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have observed my B. smithi web but unlike what the OP described. My B. smithi started spreading webbing on the substrate then pulls on it, dragging the substrate underneath and pushing it out the hide entrance to create a "wall" in the entrance as well as enlarge its burrow. This is done repeatedly that is why I was able to observe it at that time. It still does this every time the hide entrance wall gets disturbed. :)

Latest posts