1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird behavior -- B hamorii

Discussion in 'Brachypelma' started by Whitelightning777, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Is it normal for them to hang around on the glass in a vertical position like an arboreal?

My new B hamorii really likes that moss that I put into the enclosure but she is hanging out vertically on the glass above it. She's not upside down, which would be far worse, just vertical.

I haven't seen a terrestrial do that before. I doubt it's cause for concern even though I have to open the cage more carefully to feed her.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

She was doing the same thing in her old cage at the pet store, which made getting a tentative sex much easier, but it's still weird.
    Dave Jay likes this.
  2. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Moss suggests moisture and Brachys don't like wet substrate so that could be the reason although some of my terrestrials do like to climb the glass on occasion.
  3. Whitelightning777

That's the weird part. The substrate itself is perfectly dry. The water dish and moss beside it are the only moist things in the enclosure and the moss had probably dried out by now.

There isn't a way she smells the previous occupant is there?

I just ordered more peat substrate because I'm running to low on it to change it out.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  4. Whitelightning777

I added more of her substrate from her old enclosure and pulled the moss, still now where she was before.

Oh well.
  5. ALD

ALD Active Member

Sometimes they just do weird things.....
    RonC and Metalman2004 like this.
  6. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Well-Known Member

Terrestrials are terrestrials. Everything I’ve read says add substrate so they can’t climb. That being said, what keeps terrestrials from climbing trees or cacti or other stuff in the wild? I don’t know the answer, just wondering.
    Dave Jay and Arachnoclown like this.
  7. Whitelightning777

I found that the cricket wasn't eaten after all. Now she's in the hide as she should be, right under the wireless router in the cage. Yes, I set it up that way on purpose because it's 76 degrees under there in that area.
    Dave Jay likes this.
  8. Nunua

Nunua Well-Known Member

My genic did that for a long time when I first got her - Nowadays she's just sitting on the substrate or the hide. Few of my Brachypelma slings are also hanging from the walls from time to time, so I have finally given up worrying that too much. They're tarantulas - Sometimes they just so "weird" stuff. I mean, in the wild no one is telling them that they can't sit vertically on things.
    Arachnoclown likes this.
  9. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

Hamorii's climb...they're spiders. That's what they do. ;)
    Theres no rules in the spider world saying terrestrial spiders cant climb. I have found A. Chalcodes in trees and on roofs before. Hobbyists have made the rules of climbing for terrestrial spiders. However it is a good idea to minimize injury to your pet and make sure they dont have far to fall.
    Metalman2004 and Nunua like this.
  10. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

Out of 5 Phlogius sp. 'stents' one lives high on the back wall, 3 burrow and one constructs web burrows on the ground. The enclosures are nearly identical, only the arrangement of the decor differs, so I guess it's just spiders being spiders! :)
  11. Whitelightning777

How often do these guys eat anyway? I don't think it has the dramatic feeding response like a Pamphobeteous or Lasiodora does.

I'm aware that these are very long lived and grow slowly, which is great especially if it turns out to be male after all. I really doubt that however. Still, only a good molted skin can tell for sure.
  12. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Well-Known Member

They aren't the best eaters in my experience with my big female, but when she eats, there is no such thing as a 2nd chance (for the superworm that is)
  13. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

I feed them every 2-3 weeks
    Whitelightning777 likes this.
  14. Whitelightning777

I'll try in a few days. She attacked the waterdish in a half hearted way when I hoped it off.

She seems to be settling in, doesn't run for cover when you walk by the cage.
  15. Greg

Greg New Member

My juvie A. geniculata hung out on the side glass for a day or so when it was rehoused. I was concerned, but it came down when it was ready. My G. pulcrhripes sling, after staying underground for two months, came out and stayed up at the top of the enclosure in the air vents for days, and later came down. This also followed a rehousing. As they say, correlation does not imply causation. Maybe they just needed to stretch their legs and get a different view.