• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Webbing-What Does it Mean?

marya1962

3 Year Member
Rosie has been putting up a lot of webbing. She just shed two weeks ago and put out a lot of webbing then too. But she keeps webbing. I am not tech savvy or I'd post a picture. Her den area looks like something out of a haunted house. What does it mean when they web like this, but probably aren't going to shed anytime soon? Could it be a response to our cat messing with the cage? She has been fed twice one week after shedding and she voraciously ate both one after the other. Humidity is a bit low at 50 percent but she has access to fresh, clean water. Oh, she has an UTH attached to the left side rear where she dens.

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
What species is it? Not sure if "Rosie" is a name, or if you're referring to a G. rosea. If she is indeed a G. rosea, LOWER THE HUMIDITY. They hate humid conditions. I leave my G. rosea's enclosure bone-dry, with a water dish in the corner.

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
I would recommend taking a look at this page:

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

There is a section about humidity about halfway down the page. Not sure if the excess webbing is due to the higher humidity you currently have her at, but it might be. Also unsure about it being about your cat bothering her, but regardless I would try to prevent as much cat and tarantula interaction as possible. Hope that helps! :)