• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Web/molt take down?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have an A. avic that molted almost two weeks ago. She has been spotted outside her web on occasion but hasn't ditched the molt yet It's still in there. Is it okay to remove the web and molt? I can't take out the molt w/o messing up her web. I was thinking of maybe dismantling the web and let her start fresh but I wanted to get some opinions b4 I do that. Any thoughts?
:T:

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd use a pair of tweezers to get hold of the moult damaging the web as little as possible. I personally hate to destroy their carefully made webs but it doesn't really matter, they will soon replace it.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member

Her web is almost seven inches long and I don't think she could have left the molt any more in the center if she tried. I'll prolly wreck the web getting it out, but oh well. Maybe I should leave some instructions as to where to stash the molt next time to mitigate web damage.

Attachments

• 1536505578333814461039056331043.jpg
    1536505578333814461039056331043.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Her web is almost seven inches long and I don't think she could have left the molt any more in the center if she tried. I'll prolly wreck the web getting it out, but oh well. Maybe I should leave some instructions as to where to stash the molt next time to mitigate web damage.

I see what you mean :D. Web is immensely strong so you may do less damage than you'd think. Long tongs are what are needed, punch a hole through level with the moult, wiggle it around to make the hole a bit bigger and you should get it out without too much harm done to the rest of the tunnel.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I'd use a pair of tweezers to get hold of the moult damaging the web as little as possible. I personally hate to destroy their carefully made webs but it doesn't really matter, they will soon replace it.
I see what you mean :D. Web is immensely strong so you may do less damage than you'd think. Long tongs are what are needed, punch a hole through level with the moult, wiggle it around to make the hole a bit bigger and you should get it out without too much harm done to the rest of the tunnel.

Gotcha. I was thinking of cutting a hole in it with my Sawzall but I like your idea better. (Just kidding, I have long tongs.)

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
That's the trouble when the moult is left they dry out and get very brittle. Next time you need to get at it as soon as the T moves away from it.

Gotcha. For about the first 5-6 days though she was right next to it and I didn't wanna stress her out any more than necessary. Next time I'll leave a little note to immediately deposit any fresh molts in the far corner for collection!:D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gotcha. For about the first 5-6 days though she was right next to it and I didn't wanna stress her out any more than necessary. Next time I'll leave a little note to immediately deposit any fresh molts in the far corner for collection!:D

They can drive us to distraction with some of their tricks, I sometimes think they do it on purpose :D:D:D

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
They can drive us to distraction with some of their tricks, I sometimes think they do it on purpose :D:D:D

Tricks is a good way to put it. I think the two A. avics get together with some form of Vulcan mind meld just to mess with me. My LP seems to be the only sane one of the three. She just sits on top of her hide or a flat rock and waits for a meal to walk by. On a side note, the other day she was in her hide and I put a big fat juicy cricket in the enclosure and the cricket walked right into the the hide to the awaiting T. D'OH! No challenge there. Bye-bye cricket...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always have the carapace top stuck where I can't freakin reach it. OBTs are the absolute worse in this regard. They use their molts for support braces in their elaborite tunnels and webs. Since I sold my last male obt I've been missing them. I may get a few mean ass females just to scratch an itch. I love the species. Always have.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I always have the carapace top stuck where I can't freakin reach it. OBTs are the absolute worse in this regard. They use their molts for support braces in their elaborite tunnels and webs. Since I sold my last male obt I've been missing them. I may get a few mean ass females just to scratch an itch. I love the species. Always have.
I've never seen mine outside of it's web lair. I know it comes out because I find the little leftover food balls, but if it wasn't for that, I might think it was dead. I'm thinking of just not feeding it for a couple of weeks to see if it gets hungry and will come out to beg for some food.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You have to be sneaky and catch them at night, or during feeding. You'll see the ground move like in Tremors when they sense prey walking around. Just keep the prey out in the open. They'll come out :) but be sneaky..

Latest posts