• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very tough decision...

N8tive556

3 Year Member
So, one of our little Pumkin patches is having a bad molt, it's rear 2 legs on one side are sick in a the molt I know you can usually possibly help them out of it, but he's tiny, and I think the molt may have hardened...
What on earth should I do? I'm concidering clipping the rest of the molt off, however I'm also considering possibly removing the the legs... I don't know what to do

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Can you drip a bit of water on the back legs to soften up the molt? I've had a couple get stuck, and a little water did the trick. I would soften it up and use the soft end of a paint brush to help the molt free.

How large is the sling?

Or, carefully clip away as much of the old molt as you can so that it can move freely. If the legs are damaged or unusable, the spider can cast them away itself if it needs to.

Do you have a photo?

Last edited:

N8tive556

3 Year Member
This is the best photo I got
20151128_112230.jpg
20151128_112230.jpg

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He's small I want to say about 1/2 inch...

Yup, that's a tiny one. Is it in a burrow or out in the open. I've had good luck using a small, clean paintbrush, soaking the bristles with warm water, and carefully dabbing it on the stuck molt. If it's going to soften up, it usually doesn't take much. If the legs soften up, you can use the brush to pin the molt as the T frees itself.

Is it able to get around right now?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You beat me to it with the photos! I would moisten it up and see what happens. The back legs may be deformed a bit, but the T should still be mobile and able to eat. Also, although this T is quite small, I've used nail clippers to trim away molts before.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
So should I trim and then soften up the legs or soften than trimoff the remainder? Hes sort of mobile moves around a little

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would try softening it up before you trim. If it works, the excess molt will give you something to pin down with the brush as it hopefully works its way out of the old molt. If that doesn't work, you can trim it.

If you grab onto the molt, it may choose to cast off those two legs anyway, which would also work.

Good luck!!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The lesser you touch the T, the more it can recuperate and not be stressed out IMHO. I agree with @Scoolman , may be just remove most of the exuvium that is not attached and leave the legs.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Thanks for the support everyone I tried hydrating the legs but alas they would not come out, I clipped the excess molt and he seemed to get around a little better but not much I will be leaving him alone for a few days, I'll post pictures and update the little guys progress and status on this thread, thanks again!

Latest posts