• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

very odd behavior

x_raphael_xx

That hide has to go...how is it going to burrow in a cup? The enclosure itself is best suited for a arboreal. It won't hold enough substrate to house a stirmi let alone any other terrestrial spider. Your not the first person to try to use that enclosure...it just doesn't work well. Look for zoo-med low profile enclosures instead of exoterra.

The hide I have buried in the photos is 12" in diameter and has 6" of substrate. In the video you can see how much room there is inside. View attachment 59914View attachment 59915
View attachment 59916
Cricket killing machine :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cricket killing machine :)
Amongst other things...
IMG-20180609-WA0000.jpg

goliath man

i
That hide has to go...how is it going to burrow in a cup? The enclosure itself is best suited for a arboreal. It won't hold enough substrate to house a stirmi let alone any other terrestrial spider. Your not the first person to try to use that enclosure...it just doesn't work well. Look for zoo-med low profile enclosures instead of exoterra.

The hide I have buried in the photos is 12" in diameter and has 6" of substrate. In the video you can see how much room there is inside. View attachment 59914View attachment 59915
View attachment 59916
its not a cup its pvc piping I threw together its rather deep and when we first got him I noticed him barely using his hid away that's why I didn't reinvest in one

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Do you not worry about the muck that vertebrates leave behind in the substrate?
When I got my T. apophysis, I was told on another forum not to feed verts because they’re nigh impossible to fully clean up after.
I’m happy to be corrected on that, though!
No, not at all. I grab the bolus the next day and throw it in my roach colony. Sounds like that other forum needs to work on their husbandry if they can't remove a bolus next day. Ive been keeping Theraphosa since the 80s, they need large meals, crickets and roaches don't cut it.
IMG-20180310-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20180310-WA0006.jpg

QuinnStarr

No, not at all. I grab the bolus the next day and throw it in my roach colony. Sounds like that other forum needs to work on their husbandry if they can't remove a bolus next day. Ive been keeping Theraphosa since the 80s, they need large meals, crickets and roaches don't cut it.View attachment 60348View attachment 60349
Duly noted for when mines bigger. Little thing is only about 2-2.5 inch DLS. Pretty intense burrower at the moment, so I haven’t been able to get a measurement.
Thanks for the updated info! Always happy to be corrected when I’m wrong. :)

Latest posts