• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Venturing into Old Worlds

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
I’ve been in the hobby for around 4 almost 5 years total now and I want to add more into the collection. I have 12 total tarantulas now and haven’t had severe issues with any. I do already have a M. balfouri and a P. Striata and those have been super easy so far. I’m thinking of getting a couple Old World species that I’ve heard can be “aggressive”.

I’m really interested in the Chilobrachys genus. Particularly in the Electric blue and the fimbriatus. I know they are considered pet holes to many but I really appreciate the webbing these 2 create and I have the patience to see them only a few times in long spans.

Since these are for the more advanced keepers, I was just going to ask if there is anything I really need to keep an eye on when caring for them? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

rapidfire

Chilobrachys are one of my favorite. I keep both species you are interested in. They can be very aggressive/defensive and are extremely fast. If you respect the spider you will be fine. My electric blue is out daily and is not scared easily. I see my fimbriatus a few times a week.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Chilobrachys are one of my favorite. I keep both species you are interested in. They can be very aggressive/defensive and are extremely fast. If you respect the spider you will be fine. My electric blue is out daily and is not scared easily. I see my fimbriatus a few times a week.
That sounds like motivation for me to go ahead and add both. I know I will. Just a matter of time. I certainly have a great deal of respect for all spiders because I am a bit of an arachnophobe and I am always prepared for anything and give myself plenty of space to work with. Extra catch cups and barriers in case of a bolt. But yes both of these species look incredible.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As long as you feel confident go for it. None of my Chilobrachys have ever given me cause for concern but treat them with respect, use tongs for maintenance and make sure you know where the T is before opening its container.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
As long as you feel confident go for it. None of my Chilobrachys have ever given me cause for concern but treat them with respect, use tongs for maintenance and make sure you know where the T is before opening its container.
Absolutely and good points. I’m super cautious with any of my Ts. Not only for my stress but for the spiders well being as well.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No spider is difficult or challenging to keep if you get their husbandry needs right
Even when rehousing, your planning and preparation will lead to success for everyone

Get what you want. You will be fine if you keep them right/treat them right.