• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urticating Hairs... PLEASE HELP!!!

TLover815

3 Year Member
I have a rose hair tarantula and am a first time T owner. About a month ago I was cleaning out his water bowl and some dead cricket remnants and I must have spooked him because he kicked hairs at me and he got some right on my finger. I washed my hands really good and put some neosporin on and tried to ignore the itchy feeling and the pain after reading that a reaction for several hours and even days is normal for some people. But now a month later, I have noticed that if I push down on my finger (it's my index finger and it's the side where the fingerprint is) it's still very sore where the hairs were. I'm pretty concerned but my doctor really had no idea what to say when I asked about it at a routine check up a few weeks ago. Any ideas on what to do and if this is normal at all?

Quandry

3 Year Member
Is it near the nail bed? I get small infections there a lot. Mine always heal in a few days, but some people have them last much longer. It's one of the most common places to get infections because of the way the nail bed is shaped. You could try soaking it in a mix of warm water and soap several times each day. If it's the type of infection I get, that will help it. If it's yeti sting hairs, it might help get them out.

TLover815

3 Year Member
Actually the painful spot is right in the middle of my fingerprint. If I push down there there is pain but throughout the day I don't have regular pain it really is just when pushed on. And if I rub the area with my thumb nail its tender. But the nail bed area has no pain at all. I know it hurt under the tip of the nail for a couple days after but eventually subsided unlike this pain which js still there a month later.

Prudance

3 Year Member
We use this trick to get all kinds of foreign objects out from under the skin. Make a paste of baking soda and water, enough to cover the effected area thickly. Then wrap with gauze and tape. Leave on for 24 hours then unwrap and rinse off. Repeat if it still hurts. We've gotten deeply embedded splinters out this way, too. It's also soothing and works on every kind of insect bite.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nerves of steal, and a willingness to simply accept that the urticating itch like mad and will subside after a couple days.

TLover815

3 Year Member
Prudance - Thanks for this tip I am going to try tonight.

Scoolman - it actually never really caused an itch, but the pain was no biggie either. The fact that a month later its still tender and painful to push on concerns me though.