• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Upright molt?

Jennifer0148

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm new here. I am sorry if there are rules about introductions and the like, but I am frantic right now and need some help.

Today, I found that my tarantula's carapace is lifted up and I can see underneath it. She is alert and walking around putting silk everywhere, though not just in one spot as if she were making a molting mat. I misted the cage to help raise the humidity in case she is getting stuck and, even though I did it very slowly and carefully so as to not scare or stress her, she quickly ran off and into her log. So she's not lethargic. Now I can't see her at all, though, and I am doubly stressed out. She is a Chilean Rose and a little over 16 years old. I'm scared to death that she's going to die. I've never dealt with an upright molt. Plus, she molted less than a year ago. Any thoughts? Should I lift her hiding space and take it out so I can monitor her? Do I just wait it out? I'm so frightened and I don't know what else to do.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In situations like these it's best to try and get some pictures. If she's already begun the molting she shouldn't be capable of moving all that much. Upright molts do happen occasionally, and they go well more often than not.
again, pictures would be very helpful.

Jennifer0148

3 Year Member
I figured she shouldn't be able to scurry off that quickly or really move much at all. She climbed on top of her log to lay silk. I would like to think she's preparing for the molt rather than getting stuck and slowly dying. Her body is a shiny dark brown and nothing else looks different except for the carapace that is lifting. Here is the best picture I could take of it without disturbing her more. You can see the lifted carapace there on top of the new one underneath.
image.jpg

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't really see anything in that picture. raise the humidity and hope for the best, check in periodically, and see how she progresses, if you get the opportunity to snap a better pic take it. Good Luck.