• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Update

rénee

3 Year Member
this is more so of a blog/update to myself, and anyone who may be interested…. haha,

So i had got my new and first T about 2 weeks ago now, at first i was very stressed and worried, and i had been told a wrong setup for my girl. So i had to go through the long process of drying out my soil (Which took me 3 hours!) and i also had to go through the process of purchasing new stuff. Which i don't mind, as long as she is happy. SO, now i feel i have the proper setup, please tell me if i don't, or have any tips.

I still have my 10 gallon tank, with the mesh top, i am working on trying to find something else, or i may even just purchase a whole new terrarium, not aquarium. She is in about 5' deep soil, it is dry to the bone, except for the one side where i have the heat pad but only at the bottom is it moist. I know i was told i don't need the heat pad, but without it then the soil is all as low as 68F. i was told she needs to be in about 70-80. So with the heat pad it is at about 73-76 depending, she barely goes on the "Cold" side which stays at about 68. I bought her a new hide which is like a hollowed out log, she has yet to use it hahaha, but thats ok, i have 1 plant that drapes over the hide(it has 2 openings) so it drapes over the the 1 opening, with her water dish beside it(the hide and water are on the cold side) then i have a log leaning against the glass and a plant draped over that a bit, she actually tends to hide underneath that log and slightly in the plant, this log and plant on on the hot side.

When i first had her she would never come to the ground she would always climb the glass or sit on top of the log, now.. all she does is lay on the soil, which I'm assuming is good.
She has not eaten once, and i have tried to feed her 2 times, and i will try again today.. but i really do feel she is coming to her molt already. she tends to hide, is a bit slow moving, and doesn't like to eat although i know g.roseas tend to fast. also half of her abdomen is darker then the rest of it.

So i like to think she is doing good, i am always checking on her making sure her abdomen in round and plump, although i don't know what it would look like really if it wasn't but i am sure i would easily be able to tell! All in all i think Cynthia is finally doing better, and i can stop stressing now :)

Sorry for this long ass blog pretty much.. But please if you notice anything wrong, or have any tips for me i will happily listen and intake any information.

I included 2 pictures. 1 picture is of her habitat the next picture is her, yes i know can barely see her and yes i actually did catch her checking out her new hide! its mainly just a picture of her abdomen if anybody wants to check that out ;)

Attachments

• 20151117_084215.jpg
    20151117_084215.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 20151117_084245.jpg
    20151117_084245.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19

Roo

3 Year Member
Plastic tanks are your friend. Cheap and pretty short on height so it's easier to fill them up with substrate.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
The only thing I would suggest is to ether get critter keeper or plastic shoe box. If you do want to keep the same tank though add more bedding. If she decided to climb and fell it could hurt her. Other then that every thing looks good.

Latest posts