• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unusual behaviour

Malcspring

Hello fellow tarantula keepers.

I have a query regarding my Mexican Red Knee's strange behaviour. Or it may not be strange at all, but I am looking for advice anyway.

I've had her for maybe 3 months now and 6 weeks ago she molted.

I waited the recommended time before feeding and that has been ok.

Over the past few weeks she has been acting like the Duracell bunny. Very active and climbing all over her enclosure.

Last week I took her out briefly and added some more substrate to reduce the risk of injury if she fell.

This morning I've seen that she has gone into her burrow and blocked up the entrance.

As this is probably a natural thing I was going to leave her alone for a while. I have some live food on the way and following me adding the additional substrate it hasn't had the time to fully dry out yet.

The temperature in the vivarium is in the region of 23/24 degrees and she appears to be ok. I just don't know why she has just blocked herself in.

Maybe for some peace and quiet from me lol.

Thanks for any advice

Malc

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is perfectly normal for a T to web themselves into a burrow, just leave them alone & they will come out when they are ready.

Some don't offer food when a T is webbed in, but personally I do, as some will take it. Just make sure you remove any uneaten food after 24 hours.