• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unhappy blue cobalt?

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
I don’t see it being a male. At least from the photos you have shared.

Starting a small web in the corner is typical ‘settling in’ behaviour. The corner of the enclosure is where it will feel safest and is often the ‘go-to’ place for a newly rehoused specimen. It’s for this reason that I will poke starter burrows in the corners of the enclosures for any fossorial species.

As I mentioned before it can take a long time to settle. It may help if you leave the enclosure somewhere dark and undisturbed.

As for not eating, it should be fine for now. Ts can go for months without any food. But I do suggest that when you attempt to feed maybe try something juicy. Like a large pinkie or hornworm. Just to fatten her up a bit.

TaTaTula5

I myself haven't been in the hobby that long (less than 1 year) and I've personally never had a mature male. I've got this off google and it shows what to look for if he is mature. The hooks aren't always present though from my understanding (hopefully someone can confirm this)

View attachment 34804

Pet shops are in general a business and as soon as they get any animal in they are trying to get rid of it. I've never heard of anyone being told by a pet shop that they have a male as they aren't as long lived.

After a week or so when he's more settled in he might eat so I wouldn't personally consider premolt just yet.

Ahh your still further ahead in the experience department than me! And I value all advice given.. ah that's great Thanks, found all sorts of complicated stuff on my Google search, must of missed that one! I'll zoom in on some photos or see if I can have a look at some point when or if he shows himself again!

Ah of course, that is very true. £££££££ ( rolled eyes) See id rather know that the potential owner has bought the right animal and would know how to care for it. Animal welfare and all but hey this is why I'm not in business.

Thanks for your reply @Rs50matt :)

TaTaTula5

It could be a male, but those are generally fossoral so it should've began to burrow.

Hii @Whitelightning777
Hmmm... I know :/ I kinda started out a couple of burrows but hes decided to go under the moss and kicked out about 3cm of substrate..wondering if he thinks that's a burrow he's made!?? I'm letting him do his own thing. Maybe he's not happy with the substrate. Oh so many things to consider.

TaTaTula5

I don’t see it being a male. At least from the photos you have shared.

Starting a small web in the corner is typical ‘settling in’ behaviour. The corner of the enclosure is where it will feel safest and is often the ‘go-to’ place for a newly rehoused specimen. It’s for this reason that I will poke starter burrows in the corners of the enclosures for any fossorial species.

As I mentioned before it can take a long time to settle. It may help if you leave the enclosure somewhere dark and undisturbed.

As for not eating, it should be fine for now. Ts can go for months without any food. But I do suggest that when you attempt to feed maybe try something juicy. Like a large pinkie or hornworm. Just to fatten her up a bit.

Morning @KezyGLA !

Oh I have no idea what he/she is... a bit of gender confusion going on!Haha Gender aside I just want the spider to do Okay.

Ahhhh yeah that makes a lot of sense, I assumed the corner was a safe place as they can feel it around them. At least there is signs of some settling in going on. And yes in a nice dark quiet room with no disturbances. Okay that's brilliant thank You, I did go out and get some pinkies so got some juicy ones in the freezer! Always appreciated. Have a good one :)

Latest posts