• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unconventional enclosures

Jeef

I don't like cheese balls. The thought of all those poor cheeses singing soprano for the sake of a mediocre to poor snack food bothers me. But man, that container would make a killer enclosure!

Anyone else see/use something that on the surface seems strange for an enclosure?

Attachments

• IMG_20210822_154024588.jpg
    IMG_20210822_154024588.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13

Jenniferinfl

I don't like cheese balls. The thought of all those poor cheeses singing soprano for the sake of a mediocre to poor snack food bothers me. But man, that container would make a killer enclosure!

Anyone else see/use something that on the surface seems strange for an enclosure?
Those cheese ball containers are very popular for invert containers as well as the large pretzel containers.

My favorite containers are AMAC boxes for spiderlings, the clear heeled shoe box from the container store for terrestrial juveniles and then aquariums and Zilla/Exoterra. I was going to start modifying 10 gallon aquariums, but, realized the zilla and exoterra are cheaper at the reptile shows. It costs me around $20 to mod a 10 gallon or I can just buy the zilla version for $40 at a show.
These are the Amac, I mostly buy the 4X4X4 because they work for everything. Just put less substrate for arboreal or more for burrower. https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-flush_lid-amac-boxes/d?q=amac+boxes&productId=10028594
These are the shoe boxes: https://www.containerstore.com/s/heeled-shoe-boxes/d?q=high+heel+shoe+box&productId=10023923

There are much more affordable food container options, but, I'm trying to do it different this time around and treat every spider like it's a display spider. If that makes sense.. lol

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Virtually any container with a lid can be am enclosure. I opt for clear or translucent depending on my needs

Gallon and half-gallon storage jugs
PXL_20210823_135513297.MP.jpg
PXL_20210823_135525165.MP.jpg

Food storage containers
PXL_20210823_135546089.MP.jpg

Shoe storage boxes
PXL_20210823_135540401.MP.jpg

Deli cups
PXL_20210823_135605982.MP.jpg

Inverted deli cups
PXL_20210823_135601492.MP.jpg

Peanut butter jars
PXL_20210823_135558189.MP.jpg

Souffle cups
PXL_20210823_140115862.MP.jpg

Literally any container that can safely house a T
Screenshot_20210508-175009_Google.jpg

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
What, you mean people look at jars and don't think about keeping spiders in them?

I used to keep arboreals in cereal containers, until they got a bit cramped and I moved them to 10l containers, like this. I kept an OBT in an old Haribo box - wouldn't kids and grownups have loved sticking their hands in that? At the moment I have roaches in a cereal container, more roaches in an underbed box, a tarantula in a plastic shoebox. I have a gecko jelly jar with a really good gasket lid, that I need to stick some vents in.

Honestly, even braplast boxes seem almost like an extravagance to me.

TokeHound

Virtually any container with a lid can be am enclosure. I opt for clear or translucent depending on my needs

View attachment 59083View attachment 59084

Food storage containers
View attachment 59085

Shoe storage boxes
View attachment 59086

Deli cups
View attachment 59087

Inverted deli cups
View attachment 59088

Peanut butter jars
View attachment 59089

Souffle cups
View attachment 59090

Literally any container that can safely house a T
View attachment 59091
Did you glue golf tees to the bottom of your water cups? Genius! *steals idea*

TokeHound

Those cheese ball containers are very popular for invert containers as well as the large pretzel containers.

My favorite containers are AMAC boxes for spiderlings, the clear heeled shoe box from the container store for terrestrial juveniles and then aquariums and Zilla/Exoterra. I was going to start modifying 10 gallon aquariums, but, realized the zilla and exoterra are cheaper at the reptile shows. It costs me around $20 to mod a 10 gallon or I can just buy the zilla version for $40 at a show.
These are the Amac, I mostly buy the 4X4X4 because they work for everything. Just put less substrate for arboreal or more for burrower. https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-flush_lid-amac-boxes/d?q=amac+boxes&productId=10028594
These are the shoe boxes: https://www.containerstore.com/s/heeled-shoe-boxes/d?q=high+heel+shoe+box&productId=10023923

There are much more affordable food container options, but, I'm trying to do it different this time around and treat every spider like it's a display spider. If that makes sense.. lol
I totally bookmarked the AMAC boxes. Thanks! :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I brought 5 empty, but used, sweet jars off ebay for £12.99 including postage. So for under £2.60 each.

s-l1600.jpg

I have also used the empty jars that bug gel comes in, various kitchenb containers & a very large (clear plastic) storage box for my big LP girl.

Deli tubs with the domed tops make great arboreal enclosures. Simply make a few pinholes in the side & cover the hole in the top with some fine weave material.

z.jpg

containers.jpg

AphonoMel

3 Year Member
Depending on where you live,Daiso is my go to for enclosures. Just this weekend, I found an acrylic shoebox for only $4.It measures about 11 1/2 inches in length, 7 inches across and about 6 inches tall.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Depending on where you live,Daiso is my go to for enclosures. Just this weekend, I found an acrylic shoebox for only $4.It measures about 11 1/2 inches in length, 7 inches across and about 6 inches tall.
I saw a "garage sale" advertise on Nextdoor, a local Sterilite rep was selling off his truck-stuck, a ton of containers of all sizes for peanuts. I stocked up.
I found these jellybean containers that I love my aborial juvies
Yup. 32oz deli cups pretty much do the trick for my juvenile arboreals, avic and non-avic alike

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Actually got the idea for these from Dave's Little Beasties.
Walmart. I think they are a Better Homes And Gardens brand. Love 'em and they are super clear. About $7 each and have a slew of different sizes.

I'm sure it's been stated but does anybody think it's strange to be able to go to any store on the planet and pic pic items that would make good enclosures?
I started getting smacked when we go grocery shopping as I'm always buying odd foods that no one eats, just for the containers, lol!!!

Attachments

• 20211012_175537.jpg
    16.8 MB · Views: 22