• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tiny Rant

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK, look, I don't care for crickets, never have, doubt I ever will,
IMHO they're noisy, messy and eventually smell like dang crickets.
However, I do love my T's so, I purchased a few, (small ones)
Now I have a basic understanding and kept some for a while for a friend.

Set them up a small container, plenty of air etc. Mixed them up some food chopped some veggies crushed some dog chow mixed it with bettamin and fed them while I created a small water dish for them.
Now, regardless of if I like these things or not, there is NO excuse for any living thing to be
starved and literally fighting to get to the food/water.
In my world anytime anything is under your care you have an obligation to take care of basic needs, EVEN crickets.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hate em. But you are correct, if you keep them even for a few days to feed to your spiders, you should provide what they need to be healthy and thrive. Personally, I stopped buying crickets because they die too fast, stink, and carry dangerous pests and bacteria straight from the supplier to our spiders. Most nights the chirruping actually helped me fall asleep, so the noise wasn't an issue unless I went to bed aggravated about something. I recommend a roach colony to anyone who asks, any type of roach colony, laterallis, dubia, hissers, whatever. (Although I'm quite fond of my hissers...)They're easy to breed and raise and keep relatively clean. I'll never go back to crickets. Ever. I'll catch grasshoppers in my back field first. Which is never a good idea, so don't do that either..you never know where they've been, or what pesticide they've crawled through or eaten..but at least they weren't in a filthy stinking disease ridden cricket colony at a petstore..Sorry, you kicked off my own rant Kymura..

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well unfortunately they are a pretty big staple in my area. Roaches r not readily available here so crickets r my go to. And i only have 5 spiders so breeding roaches doesnt make sense for me...i wish it did. Crickets r still my go to. as far as being smelly and noisey. I only feed once a week so i just stop and get a few once a week on the way home from work. They r not in my house for more than a few minutes.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
OK, look, I don't care for crickets, never have, doubt I ever will,
IMHO they're noisy, messy and eventually smell like dang crickets.
However, I do love my T's so, I purchased a few, (small ones)
Now I have a basic understanding and kept some for a while for a friend.

Set them up a small container, plenty of air etc. Mixed them up some food chopped some veggies crushed some dog chow mixed it with bettamin and fed them while I created a small water dish for them.
Now, regardless of if I like these things or not, there is NO excuse for any living thing to be
starved and literally fighting to get to the food/water.
In my world anytime anything is under your care you have an obligation to take care of basic needs, EVEN crickets.
+1 Agree.
To each their own. I understand people's reason for disliking crickets. Fortunately, for my tarantulas, I keep crickets and maintain a large roach colony. Feeders have food and water crystals 24/7.
Everyday is feeding day! [emoji2]

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well unfortunately they are a pretty big staple in my area. Roaches r not readily available here so crickets r my go to. And i only have 5 spiders so breeding roaches doesnt make sense for me...i wish it did. Crickets r still my go to. as far as being smelly and noisey. I only feed once a week so i just stop and get a few once a week on the way home from work. They r not in my house for more than a few minutes.
Oh I understand, Entity, I'm certainly not judging people for using them. I'm sure they're still the most popular prey item in the hobby. I used them for a few years, exclusively. I've just gradually come to hate them, through my own experience and reading too much, I suppose. I'm sure my paranoia plays a part in it as well :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like them better than roaches. So far, there is no perfect feeder.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Now I'm not saying they aren't good feeders,
just saying while I don't care for them they still deserve adequate care if you have them.
After all I purchased them to feed my T's.
It just infuriated me that they were that thirsty and hungry.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
it's crickets in my household because my T's don't really care for anything else. I am not a fan of them but let me tell ya those suckers live a great life while in my care.. hahaha that is before their eventual death- My cat actually loves feeding time because I suck and usually allow one or two to escape which she quickly chomps on. Maybe I will re visit some roaches

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
it's crickets in my household because my T's don't really care for anything else. I am not a fan of them but let me tell ya those suckers live a great life while in my care.. hahaha that is before their eventual death- My cat actually loves feeding time because I suck and usually allow one or two to escape which she quickly chomps on. Maybe I will re visit some roaches
A roach colony is really easy to keep, and simplifies things quite a bit. I supplement with superworms, don't even buy crickets anymore. Then I bought some hissers and ended up liking them as much as my spiders, lol. I'm going to order some "Halloween hissers" Friday, and maybe another T. Or maybe some enclosure stuff I need, not sure yet. But yeah, the madagascar hissing roaches are huge, gentle, slow, kind of pretty, and funny as hell when they hiss. I drank a little last night and found my male hisser endlessly fascinating when I touched his side and he hissed at me. Apparently my inner child is still going strong..I had to remind myself not to harass him too much for my own amusement.:D No way I could feed these to my spiders, I'd feel like a murderer now. Dubias? Meh, livestock. :)

SasyStace

3 Year Member
A roach colony is really easy to keep, and simplifies things quite a bit. I supplement with superworms, don't even buy crickets anymore. Then I bought some hissers and ended up liking them as much as my spiders, lol. I'm going to order some "Halloween hissers" Friday, and maybe another T. Or maybe some enclosure stuff I need, not sure yet. But yeah, the madagascar hissing roaches are huge, gentle, slow, kind of pretty, and funny as hell when they hiss. I drank a little last night and found my male hisser endlessly fascinating when I touched his side and he hissed at me. Apparently my inner child is still going strong..I had to remind myself not to harass him too much for my own amusement.:D No way I could feed these to my spiders, I'd feel like a murderer now. Dubias? Meh, livestock. :)

hmmmm maybe I will do some buying this weekend (roach buying) roaches sorta creep me out but so did T's at one time. Right now I am trying to determine my next T... I am torn between the P. Metallica, the pumpkin patch, or a Brazilian Blue Dwarf (Oligoxystre diamantinensis)
Let's have a drink tonight and celebrate our inner children ;)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cheers to that!!!! we should all have a tarantula celebrating party!!! where is central to all of us?? lmao and whos buying the plane tickets? fund raiser time! who wants to stand in front of walmart and ring bells!! lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can't everyone just come to Southern Ca? I got a couple spare rooms right on the lake :)
That sounds great. I used to live in Ridgecrest, out in the desert there. And also Jones Valley, up near Shasta lake in N California. I was a kid, I just remember good parties, pretty girls, and really good weed...ahhh, memories.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I definitely dont hate the idea....i think that might me something we have to shoot for someday! a whole bunch of spider nerds getting together and having some suds....or something of the like. lol sounds pretty kickass to me.

Latest posts