• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thoughts on Exotics Lair??

shatteredpast7

After all the chatter on this thread I went to watch one of these videos - I'd never seen this guy before. What a fracking joke - "checking my tarantulas, none of them are dead, this is a good day" - what a choad.

Who would watch this idiot on the regular?

I only watched like 2 mins and I actually feel dumber for having done so. Fcuk that chump.
Lol the only videos even remotely interesting are his watering ones cause you get to see his collection plus abit of asmr XD

steaksauce357

After all the chatter on this thread I went to watch one of these videos - I'd never seen this guy before. What a fracking joke - "checking my tarantulas, none of them are dead, this is a good day" - what a choad.

Who would watch this idiot on the regular?

I only watched like 2 mins and I actually feel dumber for having done so. Fcuk that chump.
Haters gonna hate

beebhabie

3 Year Member
I definitely wouldn’t look at his videos for “advice”... but I do still like watching them. He doesn’t ALWAYS prod, poke and patronize his Ts. I cringe when he does stuff one handed, like there was one where he was shipping out a bunch of slings - from beginning to end - one handed on his bed.
Putting a sling into a vial or rehoming it is one thing, but with a single hand... Why?
I get he doesn’t want to show his face but so damn sketchy for no apparent reason.

Aprilshowerz72

I'm not a big YouTube watcher, hubs watches lots of reptile channels but I don't think about it when I'm looking for T info. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my age (but we won't talk about that). I have recently become a fan of The Tarantula Collective, but his was the only channel I recognized being discussed. So I did a little non scientific investigating. I managed 1 1/2 Exotics Lair videos. Cringed the entire time. Realized I had seen a video of his once before and still wasn't impressed. He seems like a kid with too much time and money (prolly mom and dads, atleast to start with) on his hands. Tarantula Kat is ok. I watched 2 videos. She is a bit annoying but not as bad as EL. Realized I had seen one of her videos before too. (Hubs channel surfs YouTube worse than the tv.) Still not super impressed. Watch Dark Den. Literally laughed out loud. Cringed a lot. But highly entertaining. I had seen him once before too. I wouldn't watch him for informational content, but he is really entertaining. Tom Moran was super informative. I watched 1 video. Picked the one about C Darlingi since I just got a C Marshalli. Reaffirmed I setup the enclosure pretty well. I may add some leaf litter but I got the substrait deep enough. I could see watching him on the regular. I also have to throw out Deadly Tarantula Girl. (Hubs likes her for some reason. ) I see most of these channels as a way to see other species and then go else where to get real info. I understand why they are appealing on an entertainment level. I hope newbies do their own research. But I also believe not all exposure is good exposure. Bringing new people to the hobby is great, but not all people are great for the hobby.

DomeDim

I’ve watched exactly one video of his, he was feeding old worlds with one hand while filming with the other. Then, if I recall he said he didn’t know where his catch cup was. I mean, personally, focus and catch cup are like the first two things in my check list lol. I turned it off. Plus his accent and mannerisms are kind of just annoying.
Kinda f'd up judging someone's accent.

Blackdog

It gets rough when they get uberyoutuber level and oimp products right in the middle of the video. My favorite is Sarkissian not for anything T but for booms! Who knew three rolls of gorilla tape would stop a rifle round and Why not to use a grenade to open your safe you forgot the combo to! YouTube sparked my T desire and solid linking and learning brought them home!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I believe he acts the way he does - using just one hand and the camera in the other and doing things he says he should not - to grab attention and ratings. He is the same as the person who puts animals in an enclosure to watch them fight it out.

If you want good animal care advice, avoid him. If you want drama like some who watch NASCAR in the hopes of a crash and burn, then that is what he is selling. He is like the Kardashians and Real Wives " series and most of reality TV. Not real. Not good.

Pcutler38

Hi
Tom Moran is a good source of husbandry and care information and promoting good tarantula keeping practices.
Exotics Lair and Dark Den are mainly for viewers entertainment rather than the best care for the animals.Their practices are sometimes questionable too.I don't consider them good source of information as they don't put animals well being first.
Regards Konstantin
I also reccomend the tarantula collective. he's got some really great videos on alot of different species. before i started in this hobby i watched alot of his videos which inticed me to get my 1st tarantula here locally which was a curly hair. i now have 12 tarantulas and 1 scorpion. most of my ts i got from fear not tarantulas online. really great place and highly recommend them as well if you decide to get more..

Blackdog

I also reccomend the tarantula collective. he's got some really great videos on alot of different species. before i started in this hobby i watched alot of his videos which inticed me to get my 1st tarantula here locally which was a curly hair. i now have 12 tarantulas and 1 scorpion. most of my ts i got from fear not tarantulas online. really great place and highly recommend them as well if you decide to get more..
I would have more tarantulas but Fear Not is closed on Thursdays!!! Dang that is my day off and I often go to VA Beach to shore fish and wanted to SEEEEE their unbelievable selection!

Latest posts