• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thin Tarantula Feeding

redsniper

A handful of months ago I found a very beautiful Avic. metallica in a pet store, who's enclosure was set up for a terrestrial T. Not only that, but the enclosure was bone dry, and the poor met's butt was very much on the thin side. Thankfully my dad let me get the poor thing, and she's molted for me and eating well!

But I do have a question, how often is it okay to feed a thin tarantula? I've been feeding her about every other day (female red runners, she's too big for them but refuses anything else :rolleyes:). Is this okay to do? If not, I'll start feeding her weekly, as she's at a much healthier weight now anyways.

Thank you! :T:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It depends how big she is...weekly feedings is normal. If it's a mature T you can go every two weeks. It sounds like you helped her out and started to fatten her up. Red runner roaches are perfect for her. I'd start feeding her once a week and make sure she has a full water dish all the time. Congratulations!!!:T:

Solsurfer

I know exactly the scenario you describe in the pet store . See it all the time. Always smh . I remember years ago seen an H. minax (Thai black) in a plain tank upside down clinging to the lid probably trying to escape the bright light. It's mind boggling they had Google there is no excuse really. Good job though a tarantula rescue cool stuff .