• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

They've arrived and got a wonderful surprise as well!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
HEY! No bad talking the porteri, they are just sensitive that's all.....(I adore my moody girl)
;)

Huge grats on the new babies!
Had no idea baby Pokies were so adorable :D
Not bad talking. My porteri/rosea (leaning toward rosea as she was really red after her last molt but has gone back to the dull sling brown since) is one of my favorites :) she's just frustrating when she eats twice then fasts for 6 weeks to molt.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm probably being paranoid, but those air holes look a touch large.
Awesome slings though...love that the genics show the banding so early!
LOL, now that you mention it, the porteri was actually trying to get out through the air holes. :rolleyes: o_O It has the smallest abdomen of the bunch. But it lucked out from escaping. Then, I fed them all this morning with baby roaches and they all ate. Yey! :T:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks guys for the kind words, I hoped that I can get them to feed three to four times a week so that I can increase their size quicker. They're such tiny slings. :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd suggest using a more secure method of transferring the P.metallica when it comes time to rehouse it. The bag method or bottle method would be something to look into researching. That way the tarantula will be less likely to escape as it'll have less opportunities. The whole idea with transferring fast-moving species is to give them as little room as possible to run.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd suggest using a more secure method of transferring the P.metallica when it comes time to rehouse it. The bag method or bottle method would be something to look into researching. That way the tarantula will be less likely to escape as it'll have less opportunities. The whole idea with transferring fast-moving species is to give them as little room as possible to run.
Thanks @Chubbs for that suggestion. I am actually thinking of getting or making a pretty big enclosure when time for rehouse comes along so that I can put the whole enclosure inside and let it come out on its own. But I did watched videos about rehousing one of these, some are actually funny as their Ts always managed to escape. Hope that won't happen to me (fingers crossed). ;)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I fount my Pmet on the lid crouched tonight, I wonder what's it doing there? I am using my red light to check so it didn't mind me much. Chix is starting to dig in the sub and one of the genic's legs is touching the water in the candle holder. Will try and feed them again tomorrow.

This feeling of having my collection complete is awesome as I don't have a T on the wishlist for the moment. Moreover, a couple of "T" friends of mine are hunting for the Philippine Tangerine Baboon which is amazingly native to our province or island and they said they would bring me one. They have already caught from the wild some perboomi which I am not that interested in. :T: ;)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's exploring. I'd suggest waiting for that one to settle in a bit before attempting to feed it.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
And one more thing, time to update my signature. Yey! Happy T keeping everyone!
Congrats!!!!
I have all 3 species. My porteri is a beautiful adult female and she is a sweetie...docile and handle able. My metallica is just over 2" and about to molt any day. Colors coming in. She is a skittish spaz but awesome

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I fount my Pmet on the lid crouched tonight, I wonder what's it doing there? I am using my red light to check so it didn't mind me much. Chix is starting to dig in the sub and one of the genic's legs is touching the water in the candle holder. Will try and feed them again tomorrow.

This feeling of having my collection complete is awesome as I don't have a T on the wishlist for the moment. Moreover, a couple of "T" friends of mine are hunting for the Philippine Tangerine Baboon which is amazingly native to our province or island and they said they would bring me one. They have already caught from the wild some perboomi which I am not that interested in. :T: ;)
It may stay there for a lil while. It's stressed and they just seem to curl up at the lid. Mine do that even now after a rehouse...just their thing.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's exploring. I'd suggest waiting for that one to settle in a bit before attempting to feed it.

It may stay there for a lil while. It's stressed and they just seem to curl up at the lid. Mine do that even now after a rehouse...just their thing.
When the lights were turned on, it was no longer at the lid. It went to hide at the bottom of one of the cork barks. It has not left that spot since or maybe every time I went to check on it I find it there. ;)

Yes, @Chubbs I may have to let it settle down for a while before feeding again. The porteri and genic already fed again this morning. These two are currently good eaters.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats!!!!
I have all 3 species. My porteri is a beautiful adult female and she is a sweetie...docile and handle able. My metallica is just over 2" and about to molt any day. Colors coming in. She is a skittish spaz but awesome
Thanks @SpiderDad61 How long does your Pmet reached 2inches? I hope I hit the jackpot and got myself a female. :D

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am quite hopeful with my current genic. It is out and about and also stays in the hide sometimes. It has fed twice already. I hope it will not isolate itself in its hide so that I can closely monitor the little guy. I am tempted to remove its hide actually. :oops:

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Thanks @SpiderDad61 How long does your Pmet reached 2inches? I hope I hit the jackpot and got myself a female. :D
I bought mine from a buddy, a breeder, at 1", and she's over 2" now, after 2 months and 2 molts. Rocket fast growers. Luckily he is able to sex them that young and sold me a female. I feel something that grows into such a beautiful species needs to live as long as possible.
Mine started showing her beautiful blue and yellows at around 1.5". I can watch her dance her skittish but around all night, lol. It's like she's river dancing away

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bought mine from a buddy, a breeder, at 1", and she's over 2" now, after 2 months and 2 molts. Rocket fast growers. Luckily he is able to sex them that young and sold me a female. I feel something that grows into such a beautiful species needs to live as long as possible.
Mine started showing her beautiful blue and yellows at around 1.5". I can watch her dance her skittish but around all night, lol. It's like she's river dancing away
Is she out and about then? Well, that is such good news. I hope the behavior comes with being a Pmet and not an individual thing.