• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thermometer and hygrometer

Carl

3 Year Member
Hi I recently purchased a hygrometer as I want to maintain the correct humidity. After leaving it for a day, the temperature is correct but humidity isn't. How can I lower it?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally, I would get rid of the hygrometer, or in the very least, only use it to give you a ballpark figure as to if the humidity is low or high.

Which species are you trying to keep exact humidity for?

You definitely shouldn't worry about humidity; the "ideal" humidity ranges offered in care sheets are useless, as humidity fluctuates in many of these animals' natural habitats. For example, the humidity where I live was 100% two days ago, and it's about 40% today. There is no correct or precise humidity requirement for these guys. Some also have rainy seasons and dry seasons, so pinning down the perfect humidity level is fruitless. This is probably the one thing I wish I had learned earlier in the hobby.

I honestly feel that many folks put their spiders at risk by trying to attain the "perfect" humidity levels. Take the A. versicolor, for example. For years, keepers were told that they required high humidity, which often lead to constant spraying, wet sub, and overly-moist enclosures with inadequate ventilation. I've had mine for close to three years now, and she's done great on dry substrate and a water dish (and this is during the winter when humidity in my home plummets due to the furnace running). The general consensus now is that these guys can be kept with good ventilation and water dishes.

If you're afraid the air is too dry, I would suggest putting in a larger water dish. It's a safe and natural way to raise the moisture level a bit. If it's a moisture-dependent species (like a T. stirmi or O. violaceopes), then keep part of the substrate moist and provide large water dishes. However, don't worry about trying to keep precise levels of moisture in the enclosure; it'll lead to more harm than good. :)

Last edited:

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I keep my three Avicularia metallica with only a waterdish and one or two drops of water on their web once a week. I've had them from 2nd instar and it's been one year since... No deaths, no problems, they seem to be thriving (as far as I can tell of course!). Just as Tomoran said: beware of too high humidity.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Which size is your A avicularia?
Is it kept in a deli cup? Or a bigger terrarium?

I think you can just let the substrate dry out, maybe with taking away the water dish for a couple of days, then put it back on dry subtrate.

Do you have a good cross ventilation? This is important for Avicularia.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well currently it's at 90% which is to high, was higher yesterday though by couple %

Would you be willing to post photos of the setup? I know that you've probably read that they require high humidity, but you have several experienced keepers here that have kept this genus and who are telling you that is misinformation. I don't know what you're using as an enclosure, but if it's 90% humidity, I'm guessing you have moist substrate and inadequate ventilation. To piggyback on what Nicholas C said, I've had my A. metallica dry for two years and my A. versicolor has been kept dry with a dish since it was a sling (had her since October 2013). I also now have a A. juerensis sling that is also kept on dry with a dish (and it just molted fine). I have honestly never checked the humidity in any of their enclosures.

As stated by Spiderdad61, ventilation is also very important with this species. You'll want to really air out the enclosure or rehouse it into something less humid/moist soon, as 90%+ humidity will lead to mold and health problems.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As stated by Spiderdad61, ventilation is also very important with this species. You'll want to really air out the enclosure or rehouse it into something less humid/moist soon, as 90%+ humidity will lead to mold and health problems.
and possibly SADS...

Carl

3 Year Member
Unfortunately I cant upload pics but she's in a glass enclosure with slide doors on the front and there's a strip for ventilation on the top where she's built her web. Substrate, water dish, couple of hollow logs and a few live plants.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unfortunately I cant upload pics but she's in a glass enclosure with slide doors on the front and there's a strip for ventilation on the top where she's built her web. Substrate, water dish, couple of hollow logs and a few live plants.

doesn't seem like enough ventilation to me. If you can rehouse her into something else, plastic container/enclosure you can drill holes down the sides for ventilation then she should be fine. It's the cross ventilation to keep the air moving through the enclosure is what is key.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
That's exactly the kind of enclosure that shouldn't be used for the species. You cannot add ventilation to an enclosure like that, and soaking the substrate, along with stuffy, hot conditions, may very well be a death sentence.
Get it in an enclosure you can keep dry, have cross ventilation on ALL sides of it, and a water dish, and it's all that's needed for a long lived, happy T. You worrying about temp/humidity will only stress you out and kill that T

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
image.jpeg
So basically I need to rehouse her?
To be honest, a glass enclosure isn't the right kind for that species, because you can't add holes as needed for ventilation. I recently learned how to drill glass for ventilation so it can easily be done. If you really wanna keep it in that one, you may wanna think about buying a glass drilling bit, so you can add the necessary vent holes needed. I converted 10 gallon aquariums into arboreal enclosures and drilled holes and it works great.
If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you should think about a plastic/acrylic enclosure that's easy to drill/melt holes into.
Here's mine as an example.