• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The threat to the First Amendment.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’m sure some of you noticed that a similar discussion is being had on the other tarantula forum and I wouldn’t say it’s the least bit civil. Here is quite different. Says a lot about this place (and that one).
I havent found that one, yet.....still looking ....

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Not excited in the least @Mr. P another member of the royal family to sponge of the UK taxpayer and live a life of luxury at the peasants expense....oh what a life a life to live ....born with a silver spoon in its mouth
It's the same way here though to be honest. We little guys work our tails off to barely make ends meet and still get taxed beyond belief while the guys at the top do very little and just collect.
My old boss was a millionaire. He owned several stores, shopping centers and apartment complexes through out his life. He retired last year and sold the store i managed for the last 10 years, literally did everything while he only stopped in every once in awhile to collect reports and the man had the gall to try to fire me without cause so he didn't have to give me severance. I knew what he was up to cause my friend worked at one of our sister stores told me. Long story short i ended up fighting it and won so score one for the little guy for a change lol

What im trying to say though is we have this here with not just our people in the government, we have thousands of rich families that take advantage of lower class individuals and live off it while others suffer.
Don't get me wrong I believe you should have to ern everything given to you but at the same time if you're born into wealth like most are then you shouldn't have to cut corners just to sit on what would only be a little out of their pockets. But hey i guess that's how you stay rich, i wouldn't know though.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's the same way here though to be honest. We little guys work our tails off to barely make ends meet and still get taxed beyond belief while the guys at the top do very little and just collect.
My old boss was a millionaire. He owned several stores, shopping centers and apartment complexes through out his life. He retired last year and sold the store i managed for the last 10 years, literally did everything while he only stopped in every once in awhile to collect reports and the man had the gall to try to fire me without cause so he didn't have to give me severance. I knew what he was up to cause my friend worked at one of our sister stores told me. Long story short i ended up fighting it and won so score one for the little guy for a change lol

What im trying to say though is we have this here with not just our people in the government, we have thousands of rich families that take advantage of lower class individuals and live off it while others suffer.
Don't get me wrong I believe you should have to ern everything given to you but at the same time if you're born into wealth like most are then you shouldn't have to cut corners just to sit on what would only be a little out of their pockets. But hey i guess that's how you stay rich, i wouldn't know though.
I'm glad to hear you won your case with your ex-employer @Tgotty90 good guys do win...very rarely but sometimes!..:)
i do believe in karma...you do good you get good...it might take a very long time but it will happen!
we have such a class divide in the UK its unbelievable,i have an American friend (who has since moved to Singapore) who said she was totally shocked when she moved here how clear the difference between rich and poor is...we have streets with houses that sell for a million pounds and the house next door is local authority although those people in the million pound house think they are above and beyond everybody else ....
this country is far from Great Britain that's for sure....
all we are interested in is protecting the elite and the rich in everyway possible i think that's why we ended up voting Brexit (but that's another argument lol) a small uprising for the little people of the land....

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Too many alerts on this thread!!!!:eek:
3-the-big-lebowski-quotes.gif

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

I'd just like to add that politically I'm not on the left. I don't identify myself as on the right either as I believe politicians to be the worst people on the planet.

America rank 112 in murders per 100,000 but the countries and nations above them are not developed countries and they have in general high crime rates regardless of guns or not.

The most interesting part of this video was when he mentioned strict gun law states like Detroit being highest gun related murders in the US. It's easy to say that gun control doesn't work because it still happens there but the arguement doesn't hold up. I may be wrong but I'm not aware of state borders. (I.e. The border between Mexico is patrolled and such) so law abiding citizens in areas like Detroit cannot defend themselves against criminals who can simply drive out of the state. Buy guns and return to Detroit armed. Yes their guns are illegal. But they were purchased legally. It won't work unless no one is able to legally buy a gun. (Please correct me if there is a state border checkpoint)

Also @Tgotty90 I believe Someone getting offended by an arguement like this is there way of trying to invalidate the opposing view and end the discussion :).

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd just like to add that politically I'm not on the left. I don't identify myself as on the right either as I believe politicians to be the worst people on the planet.

America rank 112 in murders per 100,000 but the countries and nations above them are not developed countries and they have in general high crime rates regardless of guns or not.

The most interesting part of this video was when he mentioned strict gun law states like Detroit being highest gun related murders in the US. It's easy to say that gun control doesn't work because it still happens there but the arguement doesn't hold up. I may be wrong but I'm not aware of state borders. (I.e. The border between Mexico is patrolled and such) so law abiding citizens in areas like Detroit cannot defend themselves against criminals who can simply drive out of the state. Buy guns and return to Detroit armed. Yes their guns are illegal. But they were purchased legally. It won't work unless no one is able to legally buy a gun. (Please correct me if there is a state border checkpoint)

Also @Tgotty90 I believe Someone getting offended by an arguement like this is there way of trying to invalidate the opposing view and end the discussion :).

Federal law trumps state law. If a criminal has a felony conviction, it is illegal for them to purchase a gun in any state. Whether it be a pawn shop, Academy Sports, etc. So if they were convicted in Michigan and are no longer allowed to own or possess a firearm due to said conviction, I'm pretty sure they can't go to Texas and buy a gun legally, drive back to Michigan and do said deed......I may be wrong (as I know laws vary from state to state) but I think I'm on the right path at explaining it, lol.......

On a note: maybe i misunderstood you when you said their guns are illegal but were purchased legally?

Because its "illegal" for the convicted felons to own a gun.....but where I'm confused is "how" they purchased them legally?

Unless they get a pardon from the governor to get their 2nd ammendment rights back (and some states do allow pardons for convicted felons), I dont think one can just buy a gun legally....no matter the state they're in.

Anyone feel free to chime in on this because I'm curious about it, myself

@MassExodus ?
@Arachnoclown
@Metalman2004
@Mr. P
@Tortoise Tom

Last edited:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Federal law trumps state law. If a criminal has a felony conviction, it is illegal for them to purchase a gun in any state. Whether it be a pawn shop, Academy Sports, etc. So if they were convicted in Michigan and are no longer allowed to own or possess a firearm due to said conviction, I'm pretty sure they can't go to Texas and buy a gun legally, drive back to Michigan and do said deed......I may be wrong (as I know laws vary from state to state) but I think I'm on the right path at explaining it, lol.......

On a note: maybe i misunderstood you when you said their guns are illegal but were purchased legally?

Because its "illegal" for the convicted felons to own a gun.....but where I'm confused is "how" they purchased them legally?

Unless they get a pardon from the governor to get their 2nd ammendment rights back (and some states do allow pardons for convicted felons), I dont think one can just buy a gun legally....no matter the state they're in.

Anyone feel free to chime in on this because I'm curious about it, myself

@MassExodus ?
@Arachnoclown
@Metalman2004
@Mr. P
@Tortoise Tom

I possibly worded it wrong. Not convicted but let's say someone without any convictions lived in Detroit. Could they leave Detroit , buy a gun out of state and return to Detroit with it? They purchased it legally but now having it in Detroit is illegal?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I possibly worded it wrong. Not convicted but let's say someone without any convictions lived in Detroit. Could they leave Detroit , buy a gun out of state and return to Detroit with it? They purchased it legally but now having it in Detroit is illegal?

Of course, unless Detroit has strict gun laws stating that none of their citizens are allowed to own/possess a gun. There are restrictions when it comes to guns being "mailed" to individuals.....but lets say for instance that i live in Texas. I purchase a gun in Texas. If I want to move to a different state, it doesn't mean I have to leave my gun in Texas. There may be certain restrictions when carrying them across state lines (example: having permits/license to do so- but then again, each state has different laws when pertaining to such). To conceal/carry you have to have a permit. But just "owning" one, you don't.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of course, unless Detroit has strict gun laws stating that none of their citizens are allowed to own/possess a gun. There are restrictions when it comes to guns being "mailed" to individuals.....but lets say for instance that i live in Texas. I purchase a gun in Texas. If I want to move to a different state, it doesn't mean I have to leave my gun in Texas. There may be certain restrictions when carrying them across state lines (example: having permits/license to do so- but then again, each state has different laws when pertaining to such). To conceal/carry you have to have a permit. But just "owning" one, you don't.

So to get back into another state would there be a checkpoint to cross?
Point im trying to get to is the video I was told to watch says Detroit has strict gun laws but a high gun related crime rate so gun control doesn't work. To me if there's nothing stopping someone bring in guns from out of state then it makes sense that there are more gun deaths in Detroit than anywhere else in the states

Metalman2004

3 Year Member

It is possible, but not as easy as it sounds. I have no doubt it does happen, but there’s more to the story than you’d think.

When you buy a gun from a store in any state the store runs your name through a basic background check to make sure you are a felon or anything else major (dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, major mental illness noted by the state, etc.). This can take 10 minutes or 10 days or even longer. There are more details but that’s the basic bit to it.

Problem is, the gov’t has dropped the ball on this and multiple major shooters have passed this background check when they should have been flagged.

Most (possibly all) states won’t allow an out-of-state ID to purchase a gun. Example, I used to have MS as part of my sales territory and in my spare time on trips there I’d check out pawn shops. I was bummed the first time I tried to buy an old rifle and they said no because my IDs identify me as a Texas resident.

One thing that is talked about frequently is a misnomer that people call the “gun show loophole.” LOTS of people think that anyone can go to a gun show and buy whatever gun they want without that background check, but that’s not even close to true. Almost all vendors at gun shows are considered “stores” and they all require the national background check.

There is one way to legally purchase a gun without a background check though. A citizen can sell their own privately owned gun to another citizen without a background check. Since that gun was obviously purchased from a store originally there are records of who the original owner is and you can bet that the original owner will get a knock on the door if their gun shows up at a crime scene. That’s why most (but not all) private sellers get a bill of sale and ask to see the buyer’s CHL or LTC. That’s what the “gun show loophole” actually is. As a private citizen I can attend a gun show and bring my gun to sell to someone else at the show. Is that loophole exploitable? Yes, but it’s not that easy to do and any seller that’s careless is opening themselves up to a lot of risk.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So to get back into another state would there be a checkpoint to cross?
Point im trying to get to is the video I was told to watch says Detroit has strict gun laws but a high gun related crime rate so gun control doesn't work. To me if there's nothing stopping someone bring in guns from out of state then it makes sense that there are more gun deaths in Detroit than anywhere else in the states
No. There are no checkpoints. The only time they have checkpoints is when they are looking for someone in particular. They check drivers license, ID's and search vehicles, etc.....

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is possible, but not as easy as it sounds. I have no doubt it does happen, but there’s more to the story than you’d think.

When you buy a gun from a store in any state the store runs your name through a basic background check to make sure you are a felon or anything else major (dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, major mental illness noted by the state, etc.). This can take 10 minutes or 10 days or even longer. There are more details but that’s the basic bit to it.

Problem is, the gov’t has dropped the ball on this and multiple major shooters have passed this background check when they should have been flagged.

Most (possibly all) states won’t allow an out-of-state ID to purchase a gun. Example, I used to have MS as part of my sales territory and in my spare time on trips there I’d check out pawn shops. I was bummed the first time I tried to buy an old rifle and they said no because my IDs identify me as a Texas resident.

One thing that is talked about frequently is a misnomer that people call the “gun show loophole.” LOTS of people think that anyone can go to a gun show and buy whatever gun they want without that background check, but that’s not even close to true. Almost all vendors at gun shows are considered “stores” and they all require the national background check.

There is one way to legally purchase a gun without a background check though. A citizen can sell their own privately owned gun to another citizen without a background check. Since that gun was obviously purchased from a store originally there are records of who the original owner is and you can bet that the original owner will get a knock on the door if their gun shows up at a crime scene. That’s why most (but not all) private sellers get a bill of sale and ask to see the buyer’s CHL or LTC. That’s what the “gun show loophole” actually is. As a private citizen I can attend a gun show and bring my gun to sell to someone else at the show. Is that loophole exploitable? Yes, but it’s not that easy to do and any seller that’s careless is opening themselves up to a lot of risk.

(Arms List) lol

Latest posts