• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The staredown!

77RRad

3 Year Member
T. Stirmi.
She always makes her water bowl dirty.
every since we gave her a mouse she wont even touch a cricket now. only seems to eat if we toss a mouse in there.

Ron

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The tarantula skeleton is awesome. Where did you find it?
Crickets are pretty small for a Theraphosa, I feed mine adult B dubia and an occasional G portentosa (hissers). Yours may not be interested in the crickets small size, since she is clearly well fed. Skip feeding for about 4 weeks, she will gladly take a cricket then. Also, be careful of overfeeding, T stirmi are known for bad molts. A large abdomen adds to this complication.
I hope you pre-killed the mouse before dropping it in. A struggling mouse can do severe damage to a tarantula.

77RRad

3 Year Member
Believe it or not the skeleton T was found in a hospital store.
My wife has cancer and for pre surgery one of the nurses got it for it before she went in to get ready for surgery.they removed most of it just needs a little chemo and radiation to finish it off!
she usually don't want anything to eat for 6 weeks if she had a mouse.
Her abdomen as been about that size since we got her almost a year ago.
she had a pet mouse once, other then that they are fuzzies or hoppers.
No I don't prekill as she seems to take kill it right away.
I tried the Dubias and she was not interested. Even when I know shes hungry.

Ron

Last edited:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
U might wanna try to wait her out for a little while and keep offering roaches...or something large. I know constant vertebrate meals for tarantulas is not really a good thing. well at least from what ive read. hell who knows maybe there are ones in the wild that eat nothing but mice...also best wishes to ur wife!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Best of luck for your wife, Personally wont feed live mammels but if I had a huge T I would possibly occasionally feed a frozen (thawed of course) pinky.

also, went looking for a skeletal T, ebay has some ^^ link on my profile :p

Latest posts