• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperament

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think that they are probably comparable, but It really depends from specimen to specimen. I've heard quite a few folks say that their A. chalcodes are very docile and tractable, while others report skittish Ts that are quick to kick hairs. Someone was recently telling me that their female, a wild caught specimen, was quick to bite. My female has a bit of an attitude, and the slightest disturbance sends the hairs flying, but she's not a terror. My B. smithi is pretty chill and has never kicked a hair. They tend to be quite skittish as slings and juveniles, but calm down with age.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We don't have a smithi yet, i want one :) the 3"+ chalcodes we have is a real *****. Feeding days she doesn't care what's on the tongs she attacks them instead, then will wait a bit to eat whatever was dropped from them. She attacks the makeup brush if we have to nudge her to do maintenance. She has never shown a threat pose, she attacks then backs off to see what happened, and she always makes a break for the opening when we lift the lid of the enclosure to fill water or do maintenance.

So fun to watch her eat though as mean as she is. That is on the rare occasions she doesn't attack the tongs and then sit and wait lol.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Sometimes they do calm down when older... (well, sometimes not!) My chalcodes is very relaxed, never attacking, no threat poses and no kicking hairs. A real sweetie! My smithi however kicks hair sometimes, but always move very slowly too. I really like them both! And A chalcodes was the very first tarantula I handled: what a stunning experience! I even dreamt of her afterwards.,.!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sometimes they do calm down when older... (well, sometimes not!) My chalcodes is very relaxed, never attacking, no threat poses and no kicking hairs. A real sweetie! My smithi however kicks hair sometimes, but always move very slowly too. I really like them both! And A chalcodes was the very first tarantula I handled: what a stunning experience! I even dreamt of her afterwards.,.!
I'm hoping it's just her getting used to the new enclosure. My son said he was able to handle her the other day while i was here at work. With her temparament i told him not to try it again. Just what i need is to come home with 2 large puncture wounds in my son's hand.

Maybe next molt her mood will swing and she'll become docile.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll agree with the very curious. Any time we go near the Ts the chalcodes is always coming up to the front wall to check out what's going on. Maybe i've mistaken that curiosity as a bad temper.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are they pet holes?
the 3"+ female I have is not. She's very active. Every time i look in on her she's changed something in her enclosure. She does like to sit in her hide though. I ordered a larger enclosure for her Friday. All that i have are too small, which is probably why she's in her hide alot, there's no room to go much anywhere else for her. Have to see how she behaves once she's settled in a more fitting enclosure.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wonderful ! thank you all for the replies, always better to get the info from folks that actually have them, :D

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I no longer have A.Chalcodes but did. She was not a docile tarantula by any means. Definitely nervous, hair kicker. And she was a captive bred female from Net-Bug. I ended up selling her.

My B.Smithi female is awesome. She's always out in the open, hasn't refused a meal and in my opinion is way prettier to look at.

Latest posts