• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantulas wont eat. Would like some advice

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
I have three tarantulas. A green Bottle blue, and a salmon pink birdester. All three decided to stop eating at the same time. The gbb I am most concerned about. The other two I am not so worried as they are both still highly active. The gbb is about 4 inch diagonal legspan about 4 years old. And is behaving a little lethargic and sluggish. I have cleaned out all three enclosures especially the gbb scrubbing clean the water dish and the fake plants. My only guess is that being in Chicago it gets really cold. The house is at roughly 72 degrees in the day but the thermostat is programmed to drop the temp to 69 at 8 pm and 66 at 11 pm. There is a vent about 6 feet that is blocked by a couch so it is likely that some of the warm air goes through the area. I will try relocating them. But that didn't seem to be an issue as they where eating even while the heat had been on for a while. The gbb and salmon pink birdeater have both molted within the last 2 months and both have eaten 2 times after molting. As I have stated. All three decided to loose their appetites at the same time. And the GBB in particular is appearing stressed. I am hoping a clean enclosure and being farther away from the vent may help

Sorry for the long post. I hope to hear your guys opinions or if anyone have has similar occurrences. I wonder if it's the seasonal change. The house is a little cooler in the winter but they didn't display this behavior last winter. Cheers.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have three tarantulas. A green Bottle blue, and a salmon pink birdester. All three decided to stop eating at the same time.
This sounds like a riddle. I love riddles!.
You say three but only mentioned two so would it would appear that two of them ate the other one and are still full, it's not eating. Amirite?

In all seriousness, consider what may have possibly changed and what circumstances could possibly affect multiple animals at the same time. Or, all three of them are females and they've just synced up their cycles.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Zurchiboy your temps sounds fine. Tarantulas will eat less in cooler weather, it won't hurt them. Pics would help but your GBB sounds like a mature male, based on a few things you've said, and they tend to eat less.

Can you post a few pictures of each spider and each enclosure?

Latest posts