• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantulas native to USA?

Bugmom

3 Year Member
The entire Aponopelma genus is really, really, incredibly messed up. Brent Hendrixson has been working for years on trying to sort out the genus.

A lot of species are being reclassified now due to improved methods of classification. Aponopelma as a genus has not been - or barely been- described using the new methods, so I am hesitant to say there's absolutely 54 species of Aphonopelma in the U.S. I also do not ever consider ANY species of Aphonopelma being sold by anyone to be valid unless it has been validated as a new species. Labeling it Aphonopelma sp. "whatever" means nothing, and I worry that the tarantulas sold in the hobby now as species this and species that are going to leave us with a whole lot of unidentifiable Aphonopelma hybrids.

A couple years ago, my friends and I collected ~20 species of Aphonopelma from within a 20-mile radius of Roswell, NM. There were different color phases displayed among them - even in the mature males. The problem with basing a species on looks or locality - as many dealers do when selling their "rare new species," is that it doesn't take into consideration that neither are valid criteria to establish an individual species.

I love Aphonopelma. A hentzi was my first tarantula, and I still own three of them (a "Flagstaff Orange" and two hentzi). I would love to see more attention paid to the big brown spiders right here in the U.S. than those coming from other locations, but the poor Aphonopelmas seem to be largely overlooked in the hobby unless they are "rare" or "new" in which case suddenly everyone wants one.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my son's first wanted T was the A. chalcodes, but it wasn't available on the website the school ordered from so he went with the GBB. Then we got sucked into the hobby with all these awesome coloful Ts, and put off getting the other Alphonopelma's we want. Chalcodes is the next purchase, and if I can get the A. seemanni with it i'll have the Alphonopelma that's at the top of my most wanted list.

Get's hard to decide what you want when you're reaching your limit of T's you can support, or rather have room to support :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with that as I have zero knowledge regarding it, it was just the only list I could find with spiders that actually lived in the states.
I was interested in making sure I had a few of 'our' spiders.
I do have a tiny sling A hentzi, just molted (still tiny lol) and want Aphonopelma anax.
I love the idea of local species and honestly don't care two figs for how rare they are,
I'd physically fight for my G porteri and you cant get much more common then that. :p
I just really like the big bodied blocky spiders, and I fell for that two tone brown.
I have a soft spot for the black and brown ones, its those that always catch my eye and heart.

So, @Bugmom, seriously what do I look for to get one that looks like that sp new river?

Bugmom

3 Year Member
I know Ken The Buy Guy has sold "New Rivers" for a long time. Although even he describes them as "like Flagstaff Orange and chalcodes." All three look nearly identical to me, and according to Brent's research... they may all indeed be just simply A. chalcodes.

I say, so long as you aren't planning to breed, get whatever you want and like, because exact species won't matter :)

I want to breed my Flagstaff Orange. I do have some reservations about this because... is it a distinct species? What if the male I find (if that will even be possible) is not a FO but a New River or Chalcodes? How would I know? What if I create a hybrid? What if she's just a color form of a Chalcodes? Obviously, I'll love her anyway, but these are the issues that keep me up at night. Literally.

Hey Scoolman, if you read this... as I'm sure you will... I'm referring to the adult female FO you gave to Jacob, she came to me when he needed to rehome a lot of what he had. What's her story? She's my absolute favorite, btw. Oh and answer my PM, you slacker! :p

This is a very good read from Stan Shultz on Aphonopelma, and this is the info I am currently operating on in regards to this clusterflub of a genus http://arachnoboards.com/threads/a-chalcodes-color-morph.246429/#post-2169420

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Bugmom Thanks for that, it was at Kens that I saw it and started searching around.
Thanks for the info also, going to bookmark it for tonight :D
I don't sleep much and do most of my research then :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That was an informative post. Kinda confused on the exoskeleton guys ramble. Aphonopelma is a German species also if i deciphered his post correctly? from what i've read they're all from the americas and outlying islands. What'd i miss?

Bugmom

3 Year Member
That was an informative post. Kinda confused on the exoskeleton guys ramble. Aphonopelma is a German species also if i deciphered his post correctly? from what i've read they're all from the americas and outlying islands. What'd i miss?
He was saying that most of the Aphonopelmas being bred are in Germany, then imported into the U.S.

I thought of this discussion when I ran across this map today. Very cool!

http://www.tarantupedia.com/map

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The more I read the more I want to have some of all of them, I'm trying to be careful to not over do and end up with so many it stops being enjoyable and turns into a chore, I love spending time just watching them be spiders. Each one is so different and amazing.
I refuse to be one of those that just 'collects' I want to actually enjoy having them, but they are all so fascinating!!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The more I read the more I want to have some of all of them, I'm trying to be careful to not over do and end up with so many it stops being enjoyable and turns into a chore, I love spending time just watching them be spiders. Each one is so different and amazing.
I refuse to be one of those that just 'collects' I want to actually enjoy having them, but they are all so fascinating!!
i hear ya. We're stopping our collection soon also. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with just the 9 we have now, I couldn't imagine having dozens. My son and I agreed that 10 each is plenty, then we can watch them grow and enjoy them, and replace or add as needed :) He's just pissed he owns 6 and i own 3 so i get to order more for me before he gets more lol

Bugmom

3 Year Member
10 lol

I'm trying to remember when I had only 10 lol. Maybe... 2012? Early 2013? It's certainly been awhile.

I remember when I use to name each new one. They get numbers now LMAO.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
10 lol

I'm trying to remember when I had only 10 lol. Maybe... 2012? Early 2013? It's certainly been awhile.

I remember when I use to name each new one. They get numbers now LMAO.
oh i'm sure i'll have much more :) but that's a good point to stop and watch the slings grow a bit. I still have a bit of a must have list that numbers well over 10 i'm going to complete, but this works for now.

Plus i'm in the works of buying a house, so i don't want to have a truck load of cages i have to move lol.

Bugmom

3 Year Member
I had to move ~40 tarantulas, one scorpion, 7 snakes, a hedgehog, two leopard geckos, a salamander, and two dogs 1,700 miles last year. Trust me, I GET IT lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only have 11 at the moment, most slings as its easier with my financial situation to get them that way, plus I get to watch them grow and change.
Theres a few more must haves, but I'm slowly working on it,
quick question, I have almost gotten an OBT several times, (because they are GORGEOUS) but not fond of the idea of a pet hole, so, I'm now thinking of a Tapinauchenius Gigas, what are your thoughts on them? Does anyone here have one? I have zero trust for Google care sheets so would rather find out from those who actually own them here.

think I'll post this ?? on the other boards as well ^^

Last edited:

Latest posts