• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantulas and them going semi dormant...

Dr Mengele

3 Year Member
uh Hi all. I want to get some feedback and need some of your observations and input. I have had my Brazilian salmon haired birdeater and a Mexican redknee T's for well over 10 years now. Both females.The Brazilian is very large and the Mexican might be considered average size.In the Spring,Summer and early Fall They both eat pretty often.The redknee doesn't eat quite as often or nearly as much but she does have her moments!. The Brazilian eats 19-15 Large crickets 2-3 times a month and the redlnee eats 3-4 at the same time frame. The Brazilian. Is now in a 20 gallon long and the mex is in a 5.5 gallon tank. Temperature is in the 70ish to 80 degree range. Low humidity. Ok, so when late fall gets here to thru Winter, they both slow down eating notice
ably. I wonder,do your T's do this too ? Do I need to work on my husbandry

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have several species of tarantulas that seem to recognize seasonal weather shifts and either stop eating. slow down their eating, or bury themselves in their hides for the winter months. Although my tarantula room is heated, they seem to key into some environmental cue (I'm guessing it's the drier air and slightly lower temps) that tells them that it's time to lay off the food for a bit. For two years, my G. pulchripes slings both buried themselves for several months. For three years straight, my Aphonopelma schmidti buried herself starting in October, as did both of my M. balfouri young adults.

Lower temperatures also lead to lower metabolisms, so just about all of my Ts will slow down on the eating and molting during the winter months, and most speed up during the warm summer months.