• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tarantula species

shaun

3 Year Member
Do shopkeepers make up names, I would not know what type I am looking at in the pet shop but some of the names seem a bit far fetched!
I saw some labelled big ball baboon and cobra baboon!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do shopkeepers make up names, I would not know what type I am looking at in the pet shop but some of the names seem a bit far fetched!
I saw some labelled big ball baboon and cobra baboon!
Yes pet stores will come up with fancy common names as a selling point. Best idea is to just stick to online vendors and expos.

shaun

3 Year Member
They charge a lot of money also.
I was given my pinktoe but I have noticed that some pet shops charge a lot more for spiders than seems reasonable. To the unknowing these spiders appear to be rare or exotic because of the price!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, many do make up their own names for Ts but that isn't their only trick. A favourite is to sell an unsexed specimen only for the buyer to get it home to find it's a mature male with maybe only a few months of life left.

Last edited:

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Yes, many do make up their own names for Ts but that isn't their only trick. A favourite is to sell an unsexed specimen only for the buyer to get it home only to find it's a mature male with maybe only a few months of life left.

My first tarantula back in the hobby was a “confirmed female” from a pet store. Two molts later and I wasn’t sure what the weird looking webs were. They were of course sperm webs.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
This is the primary reason to not use common names. Latin names are the same all around the world. Then you just have to hope they've used the correct latin name, and aren't misidentifying it either on purpose or accidentally.

Latest posts