• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula not coming out of burrow

RedManFoe

Soo I am a bit worried already. I know they can take time changing but mine has been in her hole for almost a month now and she is not eating nor anything... when i am not home i sometimes notice she's been digging from the mess all over the place but she is not moving almost at all... is it normal for a tarantula to behave this way?

Nurse Ratchet

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Could be that it's just digging a nice deep burrow for itself. Be happy you have seen proof of life. They can barricade themselves underground for months at a time.
A few tips I've picked up:
It's super helpful to use the scientific name when referring to a species.
Also, "young" can be a little vague. Size is a more accurate description for most. Measure from toe to opposite toe for the diagonal leg span or DLS.
Forums love photos. A photo can speak volumes about a situation. If you're able, post a pic of your enclosure and T.
Lastly, if your T isn't eating, it could be in premolt, so don't leave live food in the enclosure that could harm or disrupt it. From what I've read and watched, Brachypelma can hang out in promolt for weeks to months.
I'm no expert, but this behavior sounds ok to my novice mind.
Best wishes!

RedManFoe

It would help to know what
Mexican Fireleg young tarantula
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Could be that it's just digging a nice deep burrow for itself. Be happy you have seen proof of life. They can barricade themselves underground for months at a time.
A few tips I've picked up:
It's super helpful to use the scientific name when referring to a species.
Also, "young" can be a little vague. Size is a more accurate description for most. Measure from toe to opposite toe for the diagonal leg span or DLS.
Forums love photos. A photo can speak volumes about a situation. If you're able, post a pic of your enclosure and T.
Lastly, if your T isn't eating, it could be in premolt, so don't leave live food in the enclosure that could harm or disrupt it. From what I've read and watched, Brachypelma can hang out in promolt for weeks to months.
I'm no expert, but this behavior sounds ok to my novice mind.
Best wishes!
Thank you for all the tips I appreciate it!!

Lola

Soo I am a bit worried already. I know they can take time changing but mine has been in her hole for almost a month now and she is not eating nor anything... when i am not home i sometimes notice she's been digging from the mess all over the place but she is not moving almost at all... is it normal for a tarantula to behave this way?
Experiencing the same issue. We've had our juvenile Mexican Redleg a week. She dug a deep hidey hole, but not eating. Did you get any responses to your post?