• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula missing legs

taylorET

Hello,
Last summer around the end of august, I was camping and found a very small tarantula in the campground bathroom, which was missing two legs. I took him home and have had him until now. My goal was to release him where I found him this summer. He often avoids his food (meal worms and crickets) and has not molted since I have had him. I thought I’d be helping the little guy by providing a safe space for him to re grow and was not expecting him to take this long to molt. Should I release him sooner? Is it too late?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi. This is just a guess. But most tarantulas who go walk about are Mature Males who are wandering to find a female to mate with before they die.
When a male tarantula matures they have just one thing on their mind, reproduction. And things like food & water come second to that. A mature male can molt again after they mature, but it normally does not go well for them & after that final molt, their future is in short-ish. They may live a year or two, but they, in general, slowly wither away.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
You're doing him a favor by offering him a predator free stress free living space to chill out and retire. Sounds good to me...

taylorET

Hi. This is just a guess. But most tarantulas who go walk about are Mature Males who are wandering to find a female to mate with before they die.
When a male tarantula matures they have just one thing on their mind, reproduction. And things like food & water come second to that. A mature male can molt again after they mature, but it normally does not go well for them & after that final molt, their future is in short-ish. They may live a year or two, but they, in general, slowly wither away.
Thank you for your advice. If this is the case, should I still release him where I found him or hold on to him? Or should I let the natural cycle take its course.

taylorET

When a male tarantula matures they have just one thing on their mind, reproduction. And things like food & water come second to that. A mature male can molt again after they mature, but it normally does not go well for them & after that final molt, their future is in short-ish. They may live a year or two, but they, in general, slowly wither
You're doing him a favor by offering him a predator free stress free living space to chill out and retire. Sounds good to me...
that’s what I was thinking. But he/she is very young maybe only 2 years old and is very small.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally, I would release him. His whole reason for existing now is to mate. Mature Males tend not to eat or drink & to simply shrink away.

So I would let him have his chance. Even if that is going to mean he dies sooner, rather than later.