• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Legislation In South Africa

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
Hi everyone. Can anybody shed some light on whether or not it is still illegal to keep Ceratogyrus Spp in South Africa? I did find a lot of info stating that this the case but most of these posts were old with the most recent one dating 2009.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not sure how to determine how legal it is in South Africa. Maybe you can talk to some of the wildlife authorities there to find a list of animals not allowed?

Uncle Charlie

3 Year Member
Some of the Ceratogyrus genu can be found in South Africa... thus making it illegal to keep in South Africa... thats it in a nutshell... I am not very good with all the legal mumbo jumbo

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
Yes this is true. Thanx UC. I think part of the problem is that if one is allowed to keep them were these T's occur naturally too might encourage some people to house wild caught T's thus limiting the growth of their populations. I would love to own one but law is law I guess.

Uncle Charlie

3 Year Member
Thats exactly the point... not to long ago when we could still import and export T's, some nasty people came and caught wild T's by the hundreds and even thousands and exported them. That created a huge problem

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
And it makes me very frustrated that the unlawful actions of individuals pose a thread to the hobby in general. If only everybody in the hobby will take the responsibility of approaching the hobby with a more ethical and moral nature we all will win in the end, including our beloved T's and the habitats. UC, I read all the threads on www.tarantulas.co.za with regard to the legislation and I feel as though I missed out quite a lot.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Perhaps Ray (username Entomology) can help. I believe he works for the parks system in South Africa. Try pm'ing him.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Augacephalus, Ceratogyrus, Idiothele, Harpactira and Pterinochilus (And one or 2 other genera that are not common in the hobby) are illegal to keep in SA without a permit.
Brachionopus and Harpactirella are allowed to be kept without permits.
Unfortunately I think the breeding permits are not going to be issued, which is a pity as I was hoping to breed my local baboons and let everyone own a Ceratogyrus species.. :(

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
We were trying to organise breeding permits for a few selected people to breed the species, but seems the government is not going to allow it. :(
A pity as it would have really cut down on illegal collecting and we would eventually be able to supply legal species to Europe whereas all of the current stock there is illegal imports. A real pity, but suppose thats what happens if you just see it in black and white. :(

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
Very true Ceratogyrus. In RSA it's always black and white...what happened to the grey area in between? Maybe in the far future the current situation might change. I think the permit system is a good one, but slackening the reigns in order to qualify for a permit might do a world of good.