• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula is almost dead. Rehouse all?

Seekeroftruth

B albo got dks which seems to be from parfume spray and its almost dead within days of noticing something is wrong. Ive got about 10 other ts on the same shelf. I think the reason it died was because it just happened to molt when i sprayed the parfume. I need to rehouse all my tarantulas before they molt and meet the same fate. Problem is almost all of my ts are in pre molt! Also afraid of hurting them because of the pre molt. Th is is really bad. Somr of my slings are acting weird now. They are standing in weird positions and not moving ,much like how this one started out. Need advice.

Attachments

• 16269115153702034846455.jpg
    16269115153702034846455.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 26

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry to see your T not doing so well.
The advice I have is to remove it from ICU and place it in an enclosure with proper substrate. a water dish with fresh water, and a hide.
ICU's (imo) do more harm than good in most cases. You're taking the T out of what its used to and placing it in a whole new strange world. It's kind of like if you were beamed up by aliens and placed in a wet, humid, white box whenever you get sick.
It could be stressing the T and adding more issues.

Also, it may help to get a couple really good pictures of her/him to see if it's the correct sex and/or see if there is anything that others can see could be the cause. (Maybe even pics of the prior enclosure if available)

Seekeroftruth

Its not a mature male. Its a juvenile so its got a ways to go. It came back to life. I moved it in the nicu so that I could retrieve it in order to feed it in a pinch hold. I was not able to get it to eat though. it will bite down on the food but it wont eat it. I disagree about the icu. DKS tends to cause dehydration and despite not eating, getting the fluids seems to have helped as well as most probably getting it out of substrate which likely still has the parfume chemicals in it. When i got it out of its enclosure it was too weak to even stand, let alone use a water dish. Its not fat enough to make it through its next molt if i cant get it to eat though.

I rehoused three of my other T's but i dont know what to do about most of them because so many are in pre molt. :( Whatever i don't rehouse i will be hoping the chemicals will just evaporate of their enclosures. I hope i don't regret not rehousing them.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry to see your T not doing so well.
The advice I have is to remove it from ICU and place it in an enclosure with proper substrate. a water dish with fresh water, and a hide.
ICU's (imo) do more harm than good in most cases. You're taking the T out of what its used to and placing it in a whole new strange world. It's kind of like if you were beamed up by aliens and placed in a wet, humid, white box whenever you get sick.
It could be stressing the T and adding more issues.

Also, it may help to get a couple really good pictures of her/him to see if it's the correct sex and/or see if there is anything that others can see could be the cause. (Maybe even pics of the prior enclosure if available)
Agree 100% except the part about the wet, humid aliens... I've been to Ft Lauderdale

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Its not a mature male. Its a juvenile so its got a ways to go. It came back to life. I moved it in the nicu so that I could retrieve it in order to feed it in a pinch hold. I was not able to get it to eat though. it will bite down on the food but it wont eat it. I disagree about the icu. DKS tends to cause dehydration and despite not eating, getting the fluids seems to have helped as well as most probably getting it out of substrate which likely still has the parfume chemicals in it. When i got it out of its enclosure it was too weak to even stand, let alone use a water dish. Its not fat enough to make it through its next molt if i cant get it to eat though.

I rehoused three of my other T's but i dont know what to do about most of them because so many are in pre molt. :( Whatever i don't rehouse i will be hoping the chemicals will just evaporate of their enclosures. I hope i don't regret not rehousing them.
Regardless I hope baby pulls through

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I think we all share in your anxiousness and hope for the best. Keep reaching out and certainly let us know how things are going.

Seekeroftruth

I rehoused all my ts except 4 tiny slings and a c versicolor sling in case if contaminants. I was so nervous something would go wrong, I know t's in premolt can't or wont move and that they can fall easy in premolt. My c versisolor is in heavy heavy premolt and the ways its enclosre is set up theres no way I could get it out without a pretty big risk to it. The little slings are just so tiny and fast, that I don't want to risk them escaping.

My T albo looked to be doing better. It had walked around a few times just that I noticed. Seemed to be drinking and the way it was standing over the mealworm thought it was trying to eat. Legs still twitching but seemed to be much better. I got its new enclosure with new substrate, ect excited to put it in. Was dead. Within two hours of seeing it seeming to do better, just suddenly dead. No death curl? I don't know. That was weird.:(

Afraid other of my t's are going to die. They are acting mormally so we will see.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I rehoused all my ts except 4 tiny slings and a c versicolor sling in case if contaminants. I was so nervous something would go wrong, I know t's in premolt can't or wont move and that they can fall easy in premolt. My c versisolor is in heavy heavy premolt and the ways its enclosre is set up theres no way I could get it out without a pretty big risk to it. The little slings are just so tiny and fast, that I don't want to risk them escaping.

My T albo looked to be doing better. It had walked around a few times just that I noticed. Seemed to be drinking and the way it was standing over the mealworm thought it was trying to eat. Legs still twitching but seemed to be much better. I got its new enclosure with new substrate, ect excited to put it in. Was dead. Within two hours of seeing it seeming to do better, just suddenly dead. No death curl? I don't know. That was weird.:(

Afraid other of my t's are going to die. They are acting mormally so we will see.
Any news?

Seekeroftruth

It died. A couple of my slings are still acting weird like holding a random leg stiffly avove their head in a straight line and doing the weird leg movements. They have no problem eating despite this and infact look kinda overweight for tappies. Im going to keep feeding them as much as they will eat though, in case what is wrong with them is still happening after their next molt since dks can keep some ts from eating.

Latest posts