• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula feeding

akakallum

so after 3 months my tarantula finally ate since it hadn't ate since before premolt and over the course of today approximately 9 hours since I fed it its been in the same position with the dubia roach clenched with its fangs and was wondering is this normal the species is Tliltocatl vagans or mexican red rump. Any comments would be appreciated as I'm new to this hobby of keeping a tarantula

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
so after 3 months my tarantula finally ate since it hadn't ate since before premolt and over the course of today approximately 9 hours since I fed it its been in the same position with the dubia roach clenched with its fangs and was wondering is this normal the species is Tliltocatl vagans or mexican red rump. Any comments would be appreciated as I'm new to this hobby of keeping a tarantula

Perfectly normal. Tarantulas don't have a set feeding time or an approximate duration as to when they actually consume their food. Some tarantulas take hours to eat while others only take minutes. This all depends on size of prey and how long the venom takes to break down the "insides" and turn it all to liquid. Perhaps your vagans feels as if it's hit the jackpot with a porterhouse dubia and wants to savor the flavor... ;)

ThatGuy83

This all depends on size of prey and how long the venom takes to break down the "insides" and turn it all to liquid.

I actually just read in the biology of spiders that "although spider venom may contain some proteolytic enzymes, it plays a insignificant role in actual digestion". It goes on to say that "From a biological view point, the venom of spiders is primarily designed to paralze its prey". After the prey has been subdued by a venomous bite or wrapped with silk, the spider regurgitates some digestive fluid from the intestinal tract onto the victim. After a few seconds, a drop of the predigested liquid prey is sucked in, and this process is repeated many times.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I actually just read in the biology of spiders that "although spider venom may contain some proteolytic enzymes, it plays a insignificant role in actual digestion". It goes on to say that "From a biological view point, the venom of spiders is primarily designed to paralze its prey". After the prey has been subdued by a venomous bite or wrapped with silk, the spider regurgitates some digestive fluid from the intestinal tract onto the victim. After a few seconds, a drop of the predigested liquid prey is sucked in, and this process is repeated many times.

You learn something new every day. :) Thank you for that info! I based my assumption primarily on past research. :) So the enzymes in spider venom do NOT liquify the insides of their prey?