• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T won't eat

Alnana

My Arizona blonde won't eat. I've had him for 9 months. He has doubled in size. He ate great for 7 months, 1 cricket a week with occasional roaches. He doesn't look deflated and still drinks water. I say he, I'm not really sure of the sex though.
Another thing, he's been really active for the last 2 weeks. Moving from one side of the enclosure to the other couple times a day and climbing his trees and hide. No idea of that's related.
Any info is appreciated.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is possible he is a male and has just one thing on his mind, finding a female.
Could you post a photo showing his front legs and pedipalps so we can try to tell you his sex?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
T's can go months without wanting to eat, just because they want to. We have 2 Aphonopelma chalcodes & 2 Aphonopelma johnnycashi & neither species are very big eaters. All 4 go months without eating & 2 need smaller food, to encourage them to feed. As larger food seems to stress them. But as Enn49 says, the moving around & climbing makes it sound like it's possibly a mature male.

When your T is climbing, have a look at the under side of it's front legs for tibial hooks.
curlyhairtibialhook.jpg