• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. Stirmi trouble

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No doubt. I haven't been haired by the Stirmi but I've heard it's not that great at all. And at the moment I believe mine would rather run then stand it's ground. It did when I first got it home but hen it got crazy skittish and now it's calmed down alot. And I'm not sure about this but could regenerating a leg cause weird behavior? It may be a stupid question but I couldn't find anything on it.

The hairs are no joke. If you look at my bite report, do note that the hairs also got on my other hand a bit and caused some minor problems. Mine is in premolt....again, which is taking forever just like the last time. I think she's gonna be huge!! I was going to get her new enclosure built and her in it, but with premolt I just feel better leaving her alone until she's done molting and hardens up. There's no rush.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The tarantula, aka Mindy, was 100% blameless in that case. The fallen object on the next floor up was so loud that I was looking for bullet holes in the ceiling.

Any animal would've bolted in that case.

The important thing is that Mindy is once again in premolt....which will no doubt take forever & perhaps I should quit putting off building her new cage.

The fact is that my T stirmi is by far more predictable and trustworthy then the vast majority of humans.

Based on what I did right and wrong with this species, I'd advise getting a captive bred sling between 1" to 2" in size and growing with the spider. Do be sure to include a large water dish that's always full and frog moss to hold in humidity.

Mine was wild caught. I got real lucky that she's healthy. Many other people have had less happy endings!!

At least I persuaded the pet store to quit selling these. I introduced the vendor to the wonders of A geniculata and H pulchripes.

At least they were willing to learn. I have them a list of the most easily cared for genus types that a beginner to an advanced beginner would get. I also persuaded him to steer clear of the fossoral species that are incredibly hostile and not so visible. Basically I did bright colors and ease of care.

I since got my wonderful B hamorii, aka Samaria, from him since then. She's a totally happy one.

It was satisfying to see Nhandu chromatis and A geniculata for sale instead of T stirmi and Cobalt blues and others like that.

Last edited:

Latest posts