• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T stirmi really jacked me up

Avic

I think the main idea behind them is to reduce rather than completely remove. Maybe it could even have a slight placebo effect and reduce your own heart rate in turn reducing the speed the venom takes effect. It is interesting thou. I might look into it more

There has been studies done on the placebo effect and some people have overcome some rather nasty illnesses due to it apparently.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There has been studies done on the placebo effect and some people have overcome some rather nasty illnesses due to it apparently.

Derren brown done a series called the experiments and 1 episode was about placebos. People have overcome fears and all with them.

When new drugs (medicinal) are tested on humans placebos are used just so they have control experiments

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Venom extractors have never had great results. Since the fangs already make holes, it's best to gently massage the venom out the way it got in.

You can see in one of the pics a dot of clear liquid that is probably mostly venom and not blood. My right hand has basically returned to normal and the skin over the bite has closed up.

I can still feel that something happened but I should be ok by tomorrow. I have 99% use of my hand as of now.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The bite is healing. I guess there was a small amount of tissue damage from the digestive enzymes after all which opened up and healed again.

I didn't think filming the drainage was in good taste.

Yes, it's worth mentioning but only after it doesn't look too bad. It still feels a little weird, like a few days after bacon grease got on your skin.

Still, my recovery is excellent and there's no need to seek medical attention. After feeling around the bone, I'm sure at least one fang bounced off of it.

T stirmi bite healing edited.jpg
T stirmi bite healing.jpg

That sort of opened up when it became irritated, perhaps because I scrubbed it vigorously for almost a half hour under the hottest water I could stand.

The actual puncture wounds were a quarter to half an inch away, but the pain did migrate to directly under that area for a time. Then when swollen and discolored, the wound channel broke through.

The injury faintly SMELLED like her when it was draining.

Eeek!!

Still, I don't regret rescuing her from that pet store for one second. I'm also going to rehouse her into a larger better cage much sooner to prevent this from happening again.

---

Still, shampain88's OBT encounter makes this whole thing look wussified to the max.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is how I learn, the hard way.

I won't get fooled again!! Lesson learned.

These make it safe to pick up junkie scum dirty needles, great motorcycle gloves, especially should "rough trade" appear.

Won't get fooled again 1.jpg
Won't get filled again 2.jpg
Won't get fooled again 3.jpg
Won't get fooled again 4.jpg

I totally recommend this type of safety equipment, especially if you, cough cough ahem, actually use them.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

These make it safe to pick up junkie scum dirty needles, great motorcycle gloves, especially should "rough trade" appear.

View attachment 33503 View attachment 33504 View attachment 33505 View attachment 33506

I totally recommend this type of safety equipment, especially if you, cough cough ahem, actually use them.
glad you are back to "normal"... if that is a ever a word associated with you... PMSL. :D:D:D

JustAnotherOne1

Glad you're recovering well. Be more careful next time because if you had suffered from anaphylactic shock the end results would not have been favorable. It pains me to see people that do not know the basics of first aid care as well as how much danger they are in. Use warm water and soap to clean the bite and apply a gauze with pressure for 15 minutes or until bleeding stops. Yes, you actually have to get the soap and water inside the wound and irrigate it with clean water thoroughly. It sucks and is painful and nobody wants to touch an open wound but it has to be done to prevent infection and speed the healing process. Some antihistamine or benadryl isn't a bad idea to make the swelling go down either.The venom from a tarantula bite or scorpion sting isn't potent enough to kill humans. The only way your gonna die is from anaphylactic shock.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Been there, done that, hence why my hand was already in the sink obviously.

Benadryl and Claritan-D + Advil seemed to help.

I'm fully recovered.

I haven't heard of anyone dying from a tarantula bite by any means including allergic reactions, something about not as many peptides or whatever.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

View attachment 33503 View attachment 33504 View attachment 33505 View attachment 33506

The real test is to stick your hand in there and let her have a go at you....come on, it's for science!!!:) This would be a great video...one as highly viewed as @Shampain video.
I bet she rips right through those gloves...any wagers???:D:beer:

JustAnotherOne1

Been there, done that, hence why my hand was already in the sink obviously.

Benadryl and Claritan-D + Advil seemed to help.

I'm fully recovered.

I haven't heard of anyone dying from a tarantula bite by any means including allergic reactions, something about not as many peptides or whatever.

Tarantula bites aren't that common and just because no one has been reported from dying from an allergic reaction from it doesn't mean it can't happen. I don't think you understand what anaphylactic shock is and how serious it can be. Ahh well, Natural Selection at its best! You can't save all of them and not all of them want to be saved lol... I tried, but the ignorance is strong.

Last edited:

Latest posts