• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T recommendations?

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
Hey guys, I currently have 1 T and am looking for a second, I have a G Rosea because I've had experience with them before.
I like Ts I can handle so docile is number one for me, however who doesn't want a pretty T.
Any recommendations are appreciated

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
B albopilosum.. I don't handle mine as its of zero benefit to them and they honestly are happier being left alone. Now my genic is my favorite gal, but I'd never handle her...I've seen what she does to those huge roaches...

Telson

3 Year Member
Docility is dependent on the individual spider. There are B smithi with serious attitude problems. Most of them are very docile though. In my experience A geniculata is a look but dont touch spider. Both of mine are, at any rate. My big girl will bite very quickly and is not intimidated by me at all..Some folks will tell you if you take a spider out of its enclosure it becomes more handleable. Sometimes it's true. I tend to limit my handling, but its hard to resist at times. Anyway, I would say any Brachypelma or Grammastola would be your best bet. Or a PZB, which are widely known for being gentle...unless you get a psycho, which is always a possibility. There are several colorful, pretty Brachys, my favorite is the boehmei. They like to kick hair and generally have a more standoffish attitude, but they are stunning, and excellent eaters. The eye cluster in the ivory carapace seems to give them more character, and the bright red legs are just a bonus. I can hold mine, but he's skittish, and in one of his moods he'll kick hair all over.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
B albopilosum are amazing like stated. I also love G pulchra, G pulchripes and if u want ease of care, great size and good eater, genic or L parahybana

Redacted

3 Year Member
G. pulchripes and B. albopilosum are distinctive and generally very docile. Also bulletproof!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any of the Brachypelma except the B. vagans, B. albicep, and B. sabulosum, if all your looking for are T's that you can handle. In my experience T's do calm down some after they're out of their enclosure, except those 3, but then i may have mean ones of those. Like @Kymura said there's no benefit for the T's when they're handled, it just puts them in danger. However, if you must handle yours, the more calm ones in my experience are the B. albo, B. boehmei, B. smithi, G. pulchra, G. rosea. But like @Telson said it totally depends on the T. My son handles his B. albo, but I wouldn't try handling mine, he's a bit more feisty.

My genic is a monster, he doesn't threat pose first, he strikes. He hates being nudged to get him to move, he turns around and slaps or bites the brush every time. After his initial attack he may threat pose, or he may back off a bit and strike again, depends on his mood. There's been numerous times he was on the water dish when it was time to fill it, and i had to drop the brush in the enclosure and wait for him to move. I tried nudging him with the brush and he attacked it, i had to drop it as he was on his way up the brush ;) Then he'd back of and wait and attack the water as i fill the dish. Go back and check a while later and i might be able to get the brush back ;) sometimes i've had to wait a few days to get the brush out.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You'll notice G pulchripes is mentioned as docile in many of these threads. I have a juvie that will chase my hand trying to bite. That's what I mean..you just never know. I've stayed still a few times when spiders rushed my hand. They usually just put their front legs on you and stop. Usually.. Truth is, a bite from a new world T probably wouldn't hurt THAT much anyway. Its just that some of them get quite large, and mechanical damage isn't impossible..:) Unlikely, but not impossible.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You'll notice G pulchripes is mentioned as docile in many of these threads. I have a juvie that will chase my hand trying to bite. That's what I mean..you just never know. I've stayed still a few times when spiders rushed my hand. They usually just put their front legs on you and stop. Usually.. Truth is, a bite from a new world T probably wouldn't hurt THAT much anyway. Its just that some of them get quite large, and mechanical damage isn't impossible..:) Unlikely, but not impossible.
My G. pulchripes is the same way. Anything that enters it's enclosure is food ;)