• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Murinus (obt) Sling will grab prey, but not eat...

Methal

3 Year Member
Ive have it about a week, 3rd T I now own, Its not webbing, or digging, just hiding.

I fed it 2 days after I got it, and as far as I know it ate, At least I could not find what I fed it anywhere in the small jar i keep the OBT in. It grabbed the little cricket right away.

4 or 5 days later I put a small fly in the jar, again the little sling (about the size of my thumb nail) grabbed the fly right away. But this time didn't bite, just held onto it for a good 2 hours before releasing the fly, in an odd way. It flipped over on its back, and promptly righted itself then scurried into its little corner.

oddest behavior i've ever seen.

Should I be concerned?
how often should I feed it?
how do I tell when its going to molt?

Thanks in advance =)

khatchet

3 Year Member
I have never heard of or seen that before. If it was going to molt I would think it would just avoid any prey, thats what any of mine have always done. I have also heard to feed sling about every 3 days. Sorry I could not help more.

Methal

3 Year Member
I'll try to get a picture of it, but hes always hiding and I dont want to disturb him much. Perhaps I could get him to "hug" another fly or something.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of mine has done the same thing twice before, and both times it was in premolt. The last time was last week, and it molted two days ago. Unlike some of my other Ts that will just bat away a prey item when in premolt, my OBT doesn't mess around and just kills it and leaves it. That might be what you are seeing.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
A good few weeks. Just offer every 1-2 times a week and drip some water around the enclosure 1-2 times a week as well if it doesn't already have a water dish.

And by fly do you mean you something you caught flying around your house?

Methal

3 Year Member
Yes it was just a fly that was in need of being punished for bothering me while working.
the sling only ate part of it and discarded the rest.
Today I gave him a baby cricket, He seemed to eat the whole thing.

For water he has a bottle cap in there, I've not seen him try to drink from it, but I expect hes somewhat nocturnal.

To be honest though, there is quite literally NOTHING useful on the web (that i've found so far) that I can use as an accurate guide to OBT sling care. Everything on youtube is just blatantly wrong, or stupid. (ie watch me hold my obt!) and contradictory. (substrate, enclosure size, what to feed, and how often, etc.

Latest posts