• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T.blondi or T.stirmi

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
wanted to ask this for a long time, but when you wanna start with a theraphosa, which one should you get first?. i almost got a T.blondi as my 3e T, but i think it's stupid to begin with without asking first...

Thanks.
T blondi or T stirmi in terms of care, size and temperament (defensive) are basically the same. They both like more humidity but need lots of cross ventilation to avoid mould. I have all of the "Big 3" (T. blondi, T. stirmi, T apothysis). All very impressive. apothysis usually the most rare and expensive, followed by blondi then stirmi.
The thing to watch out for are sellers trying to list stirmi as blondi (to get more money). If buying a sling it is easy to spot the difference, blondi have brown feet, stirmi have pink feet. when older and the pink foot colouring goes it becomes a bit harder. The only real way to tell the difference is that the T. blondi have hairs on the knee segments, stirmi do not. I have a few pics in the gallery that have a collage for the 3 type of slings as well as pics of sub adult blondi that clearly show the knee hairs that you can use for reference. :)
Always ask for a picture if the spider is being posted and then hopefully this post will help with identification.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I started with a T stirmi that I "rescued" from a pet store. At least I got the owner to consider selling Ts that will be easier to maintain. I introduced him to the wonder of H pulchripes & A geniculata as well as the entire Lasiodora genus.

She turned out to be awesome, confirmed female after a flawless molt and then bit the living hell out of me after the idiot on the floor above me dropped or blew up something causing her to bolt and me to have to catch her in mid air.

Sigh.....

The cage build was.... hilarious especially since it was a same day thing.

Still, she's incredible and probably may well be in premolt again!! She's probably close to 7 or 8 inches DLS & that's just a large juvenile!!

I have to get her into the new enclosure one of these days....

T stirmi Mindy as herself.jpg
T stirmi Mindy kicks hairs 2.jpg

Oh, & the hairs are no joke. If they start kicking hairs, close the cage and make the fastest most undignified retreat humanly possible. ;) Saving your pride is not an issue.

Squealing like a little girl provides no practical benefit and is unnecessary. Don't ask....

Hissy fits become a literal fact but if you are patient and move slowly and are willing to try later, they can usually be avoided. It's best to work when they are in the hide, not out and about the town.

Avoid the cage area for about one or two hours if you even suspect that they kicked hairs. These do everything in a big extreme way, much more like an old world species in terms of attitude.

Still, they're worth every penny if you have the ability and inclination to put in the work.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have Repticon next weekend so I will be looking for a T. stirmi. They had one in April last year, $90 for a 6" female that I passed on due to lack of experience. This time with another year under my belt and 19 T's I will be hunting for one.
Good luck @Mr. P I hope you find the T.stirmi you are looking for...:)
Its on my list of wants and must haves at some point I think I would like a sling so I can watch it grow :eek:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have Repticon next weekend so I will be looking for a T. stirmi. They had one in April last year, $90 for a 6" female that I passed on due to lack of experience. This time with another year under my belt and 19 T's I will be hunting for one.

That's about what I paid for mine. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Avoid the cage area for about one or two hours if you even suspect that they kicked hairs. These do everything in a big extreme way, much more like an old world species in terms of attitude.

Are you sure it’s 1-2 hours???? Do you actually believe it takes 2 hours for hairs to fall??? Do they magically stay on the ground after that point??? Put some gloves on , spray some water in the enclosure and keep your face away from the top of the enclosure when spraying. Problem solved.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everybody.

In the netherlands, T.Stirmi's adult female's are 170 euro's. Slings T.Blondi's are 70 euro's unsexed... If heard, that the theraphosa's, are not so rare over here in the Netherlands.

Thanks.
welcome to the forum. Our American friends seem to have a completely different price structure and availability of species based on many restrictions imposed on them. In the UK and Europe, the prices are much cheaper when you convert lto $(USD) I know many US members who would do some unspeakable (albeit pretty exciting) things to get their hands on some UK and European prices and stock. So we are in a fortunate position. Although I am sure there is stuff the US guys have that we would equally like to get our hands on.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
welcome to the forum. Our American friends seem to have a completely different price structure and availability of species based on many restrictions imposed on them. In the UK and Europe, the prices are much cheaper when you convert lto $(USD) I know many US members who would do some unspeakable (albeit pretty exciting) things to get their hands on some UK and European prices and stock. So we are in a fortunate position. Although I am sure there is stuff the US guys have that we would equally like to get our hands on.
Everything @Phil sells I'd buy 2....its like buy one get one free. Prices are high over here. Having said that I dont have any problem finding all the Brachypelma Phil is looking for though.:D

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everything @Phil sells I'd buy 2....its like buy one get one free. Prices are high over here. Having said that I dont have any problem finding all the Brachypelma Phil is looking for though.:D
@Arachnoclown its like rubbing salt in the wound for poor @Phil he can only look from afar at your brachy collection...its enough to make a grown man cry...:(

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't the Germans have a wide variety of tarantulas?

I was under the impression that it was a popular hobby over there.
yes its a growing hobby over there its getting very popular-but its the polish who have the upper hand in terms of tarantula supplying in Europe I think:)

Latest posts