• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Surprise Tarantula!

LauraS

3 Year Member
A friend of my husband just gave me a G. pulchripes! He didn't want her anymore and he thought I would take better care of her. I just setup a new tub for her and moved her over. How does she look? Thanks all.

SAM_2341.JPG

SAM_2341 (2).JPG

LauraS

3 Year Member
Yes, I think I will put more coco fiber in. She's a climber for sure. The previous owner had her in an arboreal setup. She was on the ground when I was given her. I brought her home and went to Walmart to get a tub for her. When I got back she was a foot off the substrate hanging on the rim of the lid. I almost had a heart attack! Since she has been in the new tub I have seen her climbing the sides so she definitely likes to climb.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lol, I figured I'd give her some room to grow. Thanks. :)
That works. :)

I've had a T in a larger container like that and it wasn't eating. I rehoused it to a bit smaller and it became a glutton lol.

ZombieElite

3 Year Member
Hey all,
I'm LauraS's husband. This G. pulchripes spends all of it's time burrowed underneath the log. Laura and I thought that it was in pre-molt at first, but she readily accepts food when we give it to her. I'm beginning to think that the enclosure may be too big for her too. I'll try putting her in something smaller until she gets bigger. She's not like our B. smithi at all. The smithi will burrow under her log and then come out and rearrange her entire enclosure after a molt.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G. pulchripes will stay burrowed until they're a bit larger in size, like 2+ inches. My tiny sling has been locked in his burrow with the door shut so to speak since i got him a couple weeks ago. I don't expect to see him unless he pushes out his exo after a molt or he opens the door cause he's hungry.

Annoying yes :) but all we can do is keep the water dish full and wait them out.

I agree though, a smaller enclosure for yours would be beneficial, like half the size she's got now. For mine i put them in enclosures that are at least twice the size of their leg span so they have room to move around, but it's also small enough they can easily catch prey.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will be eating my words as to what I said on this thread as I recently rehoused my GBB to a very large enclosure for its size.

However, there may be a difference from a point-of-view of a chaco and a GBB in terms of enclosure as my GBB is starting to web the whole place up right after its molt which was yesterday and its rehouse was the day before yesterday. ;) Pia is such a busybody!