• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Surprise molt

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, my Klugi molted successfully again after just keeping a low profile for only one or two days.

I retrieved the old molt and the mealworm beside it without any issues. She's still underground hardening up. How such a large spider molts in such a small area is beyond me. L klugi surprise molt 1.jpg L klugi surprise molt 2.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Strange update.

She hasn't moved even by a fraction of an inch and doesn't shift position when the flashlight is upon her. The fangs are still quite link and from what I can see she's perfect and enormous. The lack of motion concerns me. I'm debating when and how is the best way to check for life. She could still be hardening up.

There were absolutely no symptoms of premolt whatsoever.

How long does it take for them to start moving normally, out even at all?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It can take a while, moulting is stressful and tiring for them especially as they get bigger. She'll move when she's ready.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update: I used a more powerful flashlight. She's alive and well, rotated in place slowly doing a 360 at which point I turned the light off.

It looks like she's maybe 150% her old size but it's still hard to tell. If the spider can reach both sides of the enclosure does one rehouse at that point?

Maybe I'll wait for one more molt in any event. The last molt resulted in only a half inch or so increase in size.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm glad to hear she's ok. The general rule is that the container should be 2-2.5 times the Ts dls so it sounds as though she needs a bigger home but give her around a week after the moult before you move her.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's in the 3 gallon Terra Blue professional series enclosure. It's 6 x 6 x 12.

Since a L Klugi can get a leg span of 7 inches, it'll have to go some time. Still, I think it's important to see just how big it really is. I think it's about 4" now or just under that.

Latest posts