• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Super glue and molting issues?

dhclark92

3 Year Member
My dad knocked my T's cage over, she suffered a ruptured abdomen and a broken leg, I repaired her, annndd in the process superglued her to my hand haha :) a few days later now and she's fine but i'm concerned how the molting process will go considering she has a sizeable amount on her abdomen. Anybody els ebeen concerned about this or have tis happen to them and the t couldn't molt?

Attachments

• Photo on 2013-09-25 at 14.38 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2013-09-25 at 14.38 #2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 113

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I have never had to deal with any injuries with my tarantulas so I only know what I've read, but apparently Super or Crazy glue is pretty widely used for repairing ruptures. Survival isn't guaranteed, but it can still work. Since the glue is applied to the outside of the tarantula (the exoskeleton), it shouldn't interfere with the new skin underneath. This means that when the tarantula molts, the old skin should be cast off and the glue with it. When she goes into premolt, mist her and her cage once a day...don't soak it, just dampen it. Once she goes into molt, just keep an eye on her. If all goes well the damaged exoskeleton will be completely shed and she'll have a brand new suit. Her leg will also regenerate, it may take more than one molt, though. Good luck to you and your T! Hope this helps.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There can be issues with weak spots. I remember reading about a similar experience someone had (and possibly on another forum) in that the spider recovered only to have a weak spot in the abdomen the next molt and subsequent had another eruption. Maybe some of our most experienced keepers can weigh in on this and give an opinion.

@Kenny. @Atx13 @spiderengineer , @entomology , @Scoolman , @plessey and my pardons to anyone who I did not think to tag

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It all depends on how the glue was applied. Glue is my absolute last resort. Pics of the glued abdomen would help.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
if the superglue is only on the outside it shouldn't be a problem since she will essentially shed that skin and her new body will be grown in side. nothing should cause a complication, but that's is only in theory

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I cant believe You glued her to your hand lol, must Have been a nightmare getting her off. Imagine If you had to go to Hospital to get her unstuck. I Really Hope She is ok.

dhclark92

3 Year Member
She is doing fine. I understand how her new body should be fin eunder the exoskeleton, but Im concerned that the old exoskeleton wont be able to be broken open because of the super glue!!

dhclark92

3 Year Member
Yeah she is due a molt? Bu t will super glue prevent a molt from coming off easily if at all? its all over her, well not abdmoen but underneath her like her chest thing, which is where i think the molt opens up from right?

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
well if she was due for a molt and she rupture her abdomen I would be more worry about the lost a fluid that helps in sliding off the old skin then getting stuck by the glue. because if she does not have enough fluid she will get stuck regardless of the glue. not to mention how far along in premolt she was in, the damage might be already done. as far as breaking out of the old skin they start at the carapace and push out from their so it might get stuck in the abdomen area, in which case you might have to perform surgery. however in the end their is really nothing you can do except to wait and hope she comes out of it and be ready for when she molts and have equipment ready at stand bye

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is not a lot you can do now, except wait and hope. Be sure she has fresh water at all times, she is going to need to replace lost fluids. Follow the advice about raising humidity when she is ready. Like kenny said, superglue is an absolute last resort.