• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suggestions

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
Some time very soon I plan on ordering a bunch of stuff as I have got some room, however I am not too sure what to get. I'm not buying them for the sake of it, obviously I want some new Ts but I'm not sure what I want. I would appreciate suggestions :). (I have owned: GBB, G.rosea, giant white knee, B.smithi, OBT, king baboon) think that's all XD. I would like something fairly different as temperaments always fascinate me. Thanks :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A few that might interest you

Oligoxystre diamantinensis - Stunning colours, a little like a GBB. Mine has made a web mat at the top of its container and sits on it in full view.
Brachypelma albopilosum - Build amazing burrows when small, then spend most of their time on the surface as they grow bigger.
Holothele incei - Only grow to around 2'' dls but web everything in sight
Lasiodora parahybana - Fast growing, great feeders and reach 8-10''.

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
Love the sound of Holothele incei and Oligoxystre diamantinensis. I'm a huge fan of webbing species as well, forgot to mention. I also prefer raising slings as I enjoy seeing their progression. Thanks Enn :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Love the sound of Holothele incei and Oligoxystre diamantinensis. I'm a huge fan of webbing species as well, forgot to mention. I also prefer raising slings as I enjoy seeing their progression. Thanks Enn :)

If you look in pictures there are photos of them all in my thread Enn's Bunch.

Another good webber is Cyriocosmus perezmilesi, again a dwarf of around 2''. I've only had mine since January and it was only ¼'' dls but it started webbing almost immediately.

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
If you look in pictures there are photos of them all in my thread Enn's Bunch.

Another good webber is Cyriocosmus perezmilesi, again a dwarf of around 2''. I've only had mine since January and it was only ¼'' dls but it started webbing almost immediately.
I'll take a look :)

Ghost

3 Year Member
Since you have already had a OBT then you could try an H.maculata they make great looking tube webs and are a pretty good looking T with different shades of the same colour.

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
How's their temperament? I hear a bite from one isn't the most pleasant experience. I've never been bit after keeping Ts for 5 years and wouldn't like the streak to end haha

Ghost

3 Year Member
Thier super fast and can be slightly aggressive if you mess with them but like all T's if you treat them with respect and don't put your fingers near the sharp end then you shouldn't have any problems with them.

I've been keeping T's for over 25 years without getting bite and have had H.macs in my collection for years and never came close to getting tagged off one of them...

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
My trust is with you :). Do they tend to run out of the enclosure because if it manages to it's pretty much escaped as my whole back wall is covered by a huge shelving unit. I haven't dealt with fully arboreal species before, I've seen RobC have pocies run straight out of the enclosure and all over the place. That's my only concern.

Ghost

3 Year Member
In my experience with them I've never had them run out of their enclosures on me but I tend not to give them the chance to escape I never open the door to their enclosure fully unless I'm doing a rehouse and I allways make sure where they are before I even think about opening their enclosure.

As for Rob C he made some good videos but at some point he was going to get tagged as he took to many chances with the way he dealt with his T's ...

Ghost

3 Year Member
I tend not to worry about the humidity with them to much as their not as humidity sensitive as some T's are.with slings I give them slightly damp substrate and a small water dish and plenty cross ventalation and after they get to about 3-4 inches I give them dry substrate with the same conditions and I've not had any problems with them so far....

Latest posts