• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate Choices

Which of these materials do you use as a substrate or in a mix?

• Total voters

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Agreed. Unfortunately the natural remedy for fleas doesnt do the job. When I come home at night there's usually around 15 rabbits scattering everywhere. They will infest a yard with fleas. I intend to thin them out with a shotgun this weekend.

Rabbit pie for Sunday dinner? :D:D

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Agreed. Unfortunately the natural remedy for fleas doesnt do the job. When I come home at night there's usually around 15 rabbits scattering everywhere. They will infest a yard with fleas. I intend to thin them out with a shotgun this weekend.

We have tons of cottontails here too. Dozens of them. They scatter everywhere when I drive in the gate at night. Rabbit fleas don't go for dogs and vice versa. They are too species specific. At least that's how it works here. During hunting season I dress a ready stream of cottontails and jacks and all of them are full of fleas, ticks and sticktight fleas. We have around 30 dogs on the ranch and not a one of them has fleas even though rabbits are running all over the place all the time. Ground squirrels too.

I think your climate is similar to mine, so I'm wondering if you have a flea problem on your dogs, or if you are treating prophylactically? The regional differences in this sort of thing are interesting to me. I've always wondered why a dog can be infested 30 miles south of here, but the fleas can't survive once they get up here.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have tons of cottontails here too. Dozens of them. They scatter everywhere when I drive in the gate at night. Rabbit fleas don't go for dogs and vice versa. They are too species specific. At least that's how it works here. During hunting season I dress a ready stream of cottontails and jacks and all of them are full of fleas, ticks and sticktight fleas. We have around 30 dogs on the ranch and not a one of them has fleas even though rabbits are running all over the place all the time. Ground squirrels too.

I think your climate is similar to mine, so I'm wondering if you have a flea problem on your dogs, or if you are treating prophylactically? The regional differences in this sort of thing are interesting to me. I've always wondered why a dog can be infested 30 miles south of here, but the fleas can't survive once they get up here.

Interesting..my vet told me rabbits are the cause. My dogs dont really get infested, they may have three or four fleas on them when I bathe them, but my bull terrier has flea allergy dermititis, so all it takes is a few bites to get it started. I tend to be a little paranoid, as it ends with another vet bill.
I gotta say, Ive never heard of ranch dogs not having fleas. Anything that lives outside in Texas has fleas :)

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not sure how effective shotguns are at killing fleas, wouldn't you be better off trying to shoot the rabbits? :p

If your wondering who placed the "bark" vote...it was me. What i actually use is called "bark fines" mixed with "coir pith" (that's what we call it), sphagnum peat moss and a dash of sand.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If your wondering who placed the "bark" vote...it was me. What i actually use is called "bark fines" mixed with "coir pith" (that's what we call it), sphagnum peat moss and a dash of sand.
Yeah, when I put "bark" as a choice I was meaning the bark chips sold in pet shops as reptile bedding/substrate but I couldn't edit later to make that clear.

InEx Situ

3 Year Member
Interesting thread.
My substrate choice depends on the locality of my tarantulas. I make a bioactive set-up for all my tarantulas and try to incorporate the majority of the soil types found according to the tarantula's habitat. It does, however, take a lot of work for research and to acquire the materials but in the end, it's worth the effort. For example, I have a tarantula from Indonesia and I incorporated sand and clay in the soil. In regards to the research, I mainly depend on pdf for information. Also, from experience, sand and clay help decrease mold growth. As an example, my soil would be composed of:
2 part coco fiber, 1 part sphagnum moss, 1 part ground lump wood charcoal, .5 part sand, and .5 part clay.
From experience, this soil composition helps promote live plants and meso + micro fauna and overall appears to build a strong foundation for the microhabitat.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Interesting thread.
My substrate choice depends on the locality of my tarantulas. I make a bioactive set-up for all my tarantulas and try to incorporate the majority of the soil types found according to the tarantula's habitat. It does, however, take a lot of work for research and to acquire the materials but in the end, it's worth the effort. For example, I have a tarantula from Indonesia and I incorporated sand and clay in the soil. In regards to the research, I mainly depend on pdf for information. Also, from experience, sand and clay help decrease mold growth. As an example, my soil would be composed of:
2 part coco fiber, 1 part sphagnum moss, 1 part ground lump wood charcoal, .5 part sand, and .5 part clay.
From experience, this soil composition helps promote live plants and meso + micro fauna and overall appears to build a strong foundation for the microhabitat.
It certainly sounds like you are going the extra mile! I make false bottom set-ups and vary the coco peat : sand ratio according to localities, and also vary the sand itself to an extent but that's about it. Incorporating clay may be my next experiment I think. I too find that a mix with sand is less prone to mould even at a ratio of 6 peat to 1 sand by volume. Recently I had the opportunity to look closely at two tanks I had been adding water to via the vents (to the surface) rather than via the tube (to the false bottom) and was astounded by how much mould was in those tanks when the others had none at all, further cementing the idea that a false bottom system is definitely worth having.

InEx Situ

3 Year Member
It certainly sounds like you are going the extra mile! I make false bottom set-ups and vary the coco peat : sand ratio according to localities, and also vary the sand itself to an extent but that's about it. Incorporating clay may be my next experiment I think. I too find that a mix with sand is less prone to mould even at a ratio of 6 peat to 1 sand by volume. Recently I had the opportunity to look closely at two tanks I had been adding water to via the vents (to the surface) rather than via the tube (to the false bottom) and was astounded by how much mould was in those tanks when the others had none at all, further cementing the idea that a false bottom system is definitely worth having.

Incorporating a rich soil composition is definitely worth the while. The abundance of micro and mesofauna is definitely the key to bioactive and prevent extreme mold growth. Additionally, the clay substrate mimics many, if not all of the tropical loam that would be found in a tropical rainforest. I typically do not worry about mold because every rich and healthy biotope or microenvironment will exhibit these fungi. Also, the established or establishing meso fauna population will take care of fungi in no time. I tend to ignore overabundance of mold because it provides nutrition (after decomposition) for the flora. And regarding the false bottom, it is very crucial in my book to provide one for a healthy loam composition. Additionally, @Dave Jay, if you are interested in exploring biotopes, consider adding lump wood charcoal chunks to the soil. This will add more surface layer (for micro and meso fauna) and prevent the added sand and clay from compacting the soil, preventing airflow. I would, however, prefer both charcoal chunks (the size of quarters) and tree fern fiber but, the tree fern fibers are more costly and less attainable.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Incorporating a rich soil composition is definitely worth the while. The abundance of micro and mesofauna is definitely the key to bioactive and prevent extreme mold growth. Additionally, the clay substrate mimics many, if not all of the tropical loam that would be found in a tropical rainforest. I typically do not worry about mold because every rich and healthy biotope or microenvironment will exhibit these fungi. Also, the established or establishing meso fauna population will take care of fungi in no time. I tend to ignore overabundance of mold because it provides nutrition (after decomposition) for the flora. And regarding the false bottom, it is very crucial in my book to provide one for a healthy loam composition. Additionally, @Dave Jay, if you are interested in exploring biotopes, consider adding lump wood charcoal chunks to the soil. This will add more surface layer (for micro and meso fauna) and prevent the added sand and clay from compacting the soil, preventing airflow. I would, however, prefer both charcoal chunks (the size of quarters) and tree fern fiber but, the tree fern fibers are more costly and less attainable.
Sorry for the late reply.
I certainly will incorporate charcoal into my next substrate mix, your reasoning is very convincing. I usually don't have a problem with mould, it usually is a short lived "boom" if it does occur, although these tanks had a lot on the surface, more than I am comfortable with usually, but then they are almost straight coir peat rather than a mix. The next enclosure I'll be setting up is a 4' tank for a lizard, I had to leave her tank behind when I moved house. Her previous tank was very much biodynamic, apart from the deliberate seeding with isopods and wood roaches it was situated outside with just oven racks as lids to keep cats and birds out but let insects etc in. Then each year I topped the leaf litter up with leaf litter in various stages of decomposition from beneath my native trees which added a variety of organisms. I'll be setting up a similar enclosure for her, incorporating your input.
I've found in small enclosures it's hard to keep beneficial organisms in balance, in particular the isopod populations tend to explode and overrun everything. I am in a much drier environment now, perhaps the lower ambiant humidity will help keep them in check.
I'd be very interested in checking out your enclosures and other content if you have a YouTube account, Facebook page or similar.

InEx Situ

3 Year Member
Sorry for the late reply.
I certainly will incorporate charcoal into my next substrate mix, your reasoning is very convincing. I usually don't have a problem with mould, it usually is a short lived "boom" if it does occur, although these tanks had a lot on the surface, more than I am comfortable with usually, but then they are almost straight coir peat rather than a mix. The next enclosure I'll be setting up is a 4' tank for a lizard, I had to leave her tank behind when I moved house. Her previous tank was very much biodynamic, apart from the deliberate seeding with isopods and wood roaches it was situated outside with just oven racks as lids to keep cats and birds out but let insects etc in. Then each year I topped the leaf litter up with leaf litter in various stages of decomposition from beneath my native trees which added a variety of organisms. I'll be setting up a similar enclosure for her, incorporating your input.
I've found in small enclosures it's hard to keep beneficial organisms in balance, in particular the isopod populations tend to explode and overrun everything. I am in a much drier environment now, perhaps the lower ambiant humidity will help keep them in check.
I'd be very interested in checking out your enclosures and other content if you have a YouTube account, Facebook page or similar.
Very encouraging @Dave Jay. I'm glad I could contribute some input. I have been dreaming of creating a YouTube profile strictly focusing on naturalistic vivaria for Theraphosids and Dendrobates. I am still in the process of creating some content but my Youtube account name will be the same as this account name (InEx Situ). In the meantime, check out DendroZone's videos! He has some awesome contents and truly the individual that inspired me to get into the bioactive hobby.

Steve66

I use a Coco block in the base then Coco fibre on top, found this helps to keep humidity for my A Seemani and keeps the top substrate relatively dry. I very lightly mist the inside of hide (when she isn't in it!) And she seems to be doing fine.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use garden soil with no fertilizer and mix it with coco. Sometimes I only use garden soil and never had an issue.

Latest posts