• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sterilising potting compost.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've bought a bag of Top Soil (Westland is the make) from Asda (the Uk's Walmart).

Take care & think carefully before using this.

One of my previous jobs was driving various size tipper trucks, both rigid & semi articulated & one of the common jobs was what was called "muck away." This meant you moved soil, (muck,) from a site. Sometimes this soil was moved to a location that needed soil & sometimes it was moved to premises from which it was sold on from.

Top soil is just what it says, the top layer of soil on any site, be that a garden, a farm, or an old factory site. I have moved so called top soil by the ton. An HGV 1 moves around 25 to 30 ton per load.) And I have moved multiple loads per day to sites where it will then be sold on by the truck load to landscapers, developers etc As well as to other retailers who will then sell it on in smaller quantities to people such as yourself & a fair tonnage of that will come from locations that you would not want your T to inhabit.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I love it..."The research I've done (from people in the hobby who know what they're talking about)"
So what are you doing here???;)

I meant guys like you! In this instance, people who've kept T's for years and have used that product. Maybe it came across wrong or something?

I'm quick to point out when I post anything, that any knowledge I have is gleaned from experienced keepers like yourselves, and not me as I'm not yet a keeper. I've just been soaking up all the knowledge I can from a wide range of sources as I enjoy reading up about T's and T keeping. But it's not the same as hands on experience obviously.

I think I know what you thought I meant/was referring to. I didnt, and I apologise that my post was so badly worded you thought that.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Take care & think carefully before using this.

One of my previous jobs was driving various size tipper trucks, both rigid & semi articulated & one of the common jobs was what was called "muck away." This meant you moved soil, (muck,) from a site. Sometimes this soil was moved to a location that needed soil & sometimes it was moved to premises from which it was sold on from.

Top soil is just what it says, the top layer of soil on any site, be that a garden, a farm, or an old factory site. I have moved so called top soil by the ton. An HGV 1 moves around 25 to 30 ton per load.) And I have moved multiple loads per day to sites where it will then be sold on by the truck load to landscapers, developers etc As well as to other retailers who will then sell it on in smaller quantities to people such as yourself & a fair tonnage of that will come from locations that you would not want your T to inhabit.

Good point, I will be careful and ask a few more questions. I will even test it with feeders when and if I actually need/decide to use it.

It was recommended by keepers who've kept T.'s on it for a good number of years. They say that the point of getting top soil versus potting compost is that it is just dirt with no additives after extraction. I've worked in some filthy factories with all sorts of chemicals and oils used, and came across some of the biggest spiders I've ever seen, presumably they thrived there due to the amount of flying insects attracted by the way these places are lit up all night long. But yes, I understand that wild native true spiders may be hardier than captive bred T's.

I don't think that they are allowed to sell top soil from truly contaminated land, but I understand your points and I'll be very careful. Thanks.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I meant guys like you! In this instance, people who've kept T's for years and have used that product. Maybe it came across wrong or something?

I'm quick to point out when I post anything, that any knowledge I have is gleaned from experienced keepers like yourselves, and not me as I'm not yet a keeper. I've just been soaking up all the knowledge I can from a wide range of sources as I enjoy reading up about T's and T keeping. But it's not the same as hands on experience obviously.

I think I know what you thought I meant/was referring to. I didnt, and I apologise that my post was so badly worded you thought that.
I knew what you meant, but that's only because I have a keen deductive intellect. Clown is a bully and a caveman. :D

New2T’s

3 Year Member
I’ve seen lots of YouTube videos, FB posts, etc where experienced keepers say top soil is a must. They mix top soil with coco fiber. It holds moisture better they say. I haven’t tried it. I jus use coco fiber, but I don’t have any species that require high humidity and need moist substrate. Most of mine don’t like damp substrate. They won’t even stand on damp substrate. Everyone gonna have different opinions tho. Jus need to use what works best for you and your Ts.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
So youtubers and facebookers are the experts now. That’s hilarious, some of the worst info in the hobby comes from those two groups.:D

I've come across bad, contradictory and outdated advice on YouTube ( don't use Facebook so can't speak for that) but there are some great channels on there too. Tom Moran, Bird Spiders, Marks Tarantulas, BugznStuff being the ones that spring straight to mind. But there are lots of others too. They are not all bad!!

I have to be honest though, sometimes when I have 5 new Tarantula channels recommended to me per week and I click on and video no 1 is unboxing their 1st ever T. Videos 2 and 3, many more unboxings + chaotic rehousings, the collection is growing rapidly. By video 4/week 4 old worlds and trues (usually some type of wandering spider) have made an appearance. It's like WTF are you thinking, if any thought went into it at all lol

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
By video 4/week 4 old worlds and trues (usually some type of wandering spider) have made an appearance. It's like WTF are you thinking, if any thought went into it at all lol

It is the same for all so called youtubers. My other hobbies are magic & amateur radio & with magic especially for every really good youtuber there seem to a hundred who have seen someone else on youtube & then spent all of 30 seconds practising before deciding to expose how that trick work & demonstrating it really badly & clearly with no understanding of magic & how it works.

I don't know what it's like with T's, but I have thousands of pounds worth of radio equipment brought from people who has done the very basic one weekend course, got thier very basic licence & then spent a fortune on equipment only to discover that there is no correlation between enjoying a hobby & how much you have spent on it in a weekend.

And one question in closing. Your comment about some kind of wandering spider by week 4. Are you saying that at 4 weeks into the hobby myself, I should not have ordered that Brazilian wandering spider? :rolleyes::rolleyes::T:

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
And one question in closing. Your comment about some kind of wandering spider by week 4. Are you saying that at 4 weeks into the hobby myself, I should not have ordered that Brazilian wandering spider? :rolleyes::rolleyes::T:

Lol if you're not pulling my leg, I had absolutely no idea, and am a little bit jel because I adore them, though they scare me a bit especially seeing them hunt, how switched on they are. I watch Frankus Lee's uploads about his P. Feras.

The YouTubers I was referring to usually have some type of 'Red Fang' (rarely Phoneutria) and you can tell they are terrified of it, as they are still scared of their T's. Trouble comes with how fast these spiders are, they can shoot out of their enclosures during feedings/maintenance, often because the keeper is inexperienced and is using 1 hand to film. The panic that ensues could easily lead to a lost spider or injury. I wonder why they put themselves through it!

I'm also jealous that they can afford to get whatever they fancy getting lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So youtubers and facebookers are the experts now. That’s hilarious, some of the worst info in the hobby comes from those two groups.:D
Also some good basic info comes from them. Personally I've found that European keepers have a different view of keeping/breeding etc, and I like watching and reading about it. There's always people claiming they know more, or better, I like hearing their views. YouTube actually has alot to offer, you just need a bull**** filter(for some. Some youtubers know what they're doing.)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you have a channel @MassExodus? You should! I'd watch it :)
Well tyvm, that's flattering, but nope, that's not my bag. I imagine I'd be more popular here, on this forum, if I shared more pics, or videos of my outdoor herping/sports outings, or stopped drunken rage posting about things that bothered me in my, and other, civilized countries in off topic chat. But to be honest I get too caught up in living it to record it :p When you live in the moment, sharing just doesn't matter at all, you just want to live..I have no family except a brother and a nephew, its an admittedly selfish existence. I dont apologize:) I do regret not getting video..a lot..and I've tried to change, if only to document things I see that others may never see..but I'm 45 years old, in the middle of what I believe might be a "mid life crisis" and I resist anything that might get in the way of my own interests. And, I'm lazy. ;)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Well tyvm, that's flattering, but nope, that's not my bag. I imagine I'd be more popular here, on this forum, if I shared more pics, or videos of my outdoor herping/sports outings, or stopped drunken rage posting about things that bothered me in my, and other, civilized countries in off topic chat. But to be honest I get too caught up in living it to record it :p When you live in the moment, sharing just doesn't matter at all, you just want to live..I have no family except a brother and a nephew, its an admittedly selfish existence. I dont apologize:) I do regret not getting video..a lot..and I've tried to change, if only to document things I see that others may never see..but I'm 45 years old, in the middle of what I believe might be a "mid life crisis" and I resist anything that might get in the way of my own interests. And, I'm lazy. ;)

Lol I love it! Sounds like a great way of living to me
You're living the dream lol. You've got some great hobbies + and I like hearing about them. The rants make for a more interesting forum.

So many interesting people on here - you all make me feel really boring lol

I haven't had my midlife crisis yet. But it's probably delayed as I'm quite immature for my age, I never stopped thinking I'm 18 ;):p

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you have a channel @MassExodus? You should! I'd watch it :)
As an example, so you know what I mean, I've observed my native anax in their burrows during heavy rain, (with a bore scope, or plumber's camera), and gotten good footage twice of frogs emerging from saturated soil in tarantula burrows, because that's where they go..if I spent more time on it, I could dispel the "symbiosis" myth perpetrated by media about frogs and T's. You want to know what happened to this excellent footage? I think I recorded over it. That's how dependable and caring I can be..I recorded over that footage helping a friend and my brother unclog a drain and find wires in a wall. :(

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
As an example, so you know what I mean, I've observed my native anax in their burrows during heavy rain, (with a bore scope, or plumber's camera), and gotten good footage twice of frogs emerging from saturated soil in tarantula burrows, because that's where they go..if I spent more time on it, I could dispel the "symbiosis" myth perpetrated by media about frogs and T's. You want to know what happened to this excellent footage? I think I recorded over it. That's how dependable and caring I can be..I recorded over that footage helping a friend and my brother unclog a drain and find wires in a wall. :(

Nooooooo!!!! But it's awesome that you put family and friends first like that. And give your time and labour to help sort out a problem. So many people make excuses and are too lazy to do that.
Are you a plumber?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nooooooo!!!! But it's awesome that you put family and friends first like that. And give your time and labour to help sort out a problem. So many people make excuses and are too lazy to do that.
Are you a plumber?
No, but I was a union pipe fitter(sprinklerfitter-fire protection systems) for 8 years. I only bought the bore scope for herping :) The rest of my time was spent as a truck driver and then a corrections Sgt. With a few adventures in between. As a corrections officer, after 8-9 years I was wishing I was a plumber. Then I could at least be honest about dealing with human ****. You tend to take a dim view of society after a while..

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
No, but I was a union pipe fitter(sprinklerfitter-fire protection systems) for 8 years. I only bought the bore scope for herping :) The rest of my time was spent as a truck driver and then a corrections Sgt. With a few adventures in between. As a corrections officer, after 8-9 years I was wishing I was a plumber. Then I could at least be honest about dealing with human ****. You tend to take a dim view of society after a while..

Believe it or not, I once dreamt of being a plumber. If you have a trade, you are on a good wage and can always find work.

I love driving and I often wonder if I'd be better off with some sort of driving job.

I bet you could tell a few tales if you were allowed, about your days working in the prisons. US jails seem much more harsh than UK ones, but some of our prisons can be pretty nasty by all accounts, Wormwood Scrubs being one that has a bit of a reputation for being gnarly.

I can see how the bore scope could come in useful for herping, especially for peeking down those Anax burrows!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Believe it or not, I once dreamt of being a plumber. If you have a trade, you are on a good wage and can always find work.

I love driving and I often wonder if I'd be better off with some sort of driving job.

I bet you could tell a few tales if you were allowed, about your days working in the prisons. US jails seem much more harsh than UK ones, but some of our prisons can be pretty nasty by all accounts, Wormwood Scrubs being one that has a bit of a reputation for being gnarly.

I can see how the bore scope could come in useful for herping, especially for peeking down those Anax burrows!
If you like driving,(I always have) try nuclear medicine. All hospitals have companies that come to change out nuclear batteries on a daily basis. Its perfectly safe. It's for nuclear imaging. Not a bad job, in my opinion. I'm a semi retired security guard now, I see them every day and oversee the change out. Pretty chill job, by all accounts;)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Generally, you don't need to sterilize the substrate unless there's ants or mold in it.

The Lugartis tarantula substrate had a mold problem. If memory serves, Tom Moran did a review of it & he looked pissed.

I found ants in my last bit of cocofiber that I needed to finish up my cage build. I sterilized a small batch of it and sealed it up tight. Aside from being bone dry, there's literally no way to tell the difference.

Now I have to put out baits. Obviously you can't use bug spray without moving all the cages to another room. The baits work better anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts