• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting with 1 vs 3

Egon

3 Year Member
Ok, so I will probably have to order my T instead of sourcing it locally, and was thinking of going through a well-known site that offers freebies. I was tempted to order both of my ideal first tarantulas -- G. Pulchripes and C. Versicolor -- so I don't have to get a second time months from now when I decide I want both and pay shipping a second time. If I do that, I can get one of many freebies, and was thinking of choosing A. Hentzi.

I've never kept a T before but I do have four garter snakes in two different enclosures. For whatever it's worth, I'm a guy in my 40s who lives alone in a home I own. I've been thinking about getting a tarantula for years and have done plenty of reading and hours of YouTube viewing (of all the well-known characters).

Thoughts, advice, suggestions, concerns, etc. about starting out with three T slings at once instead of one for my very first foray into keeping tarantulas?

Thank you.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi there
Nothing wrong starting with few as long as you have done your research.
You may consider multiple slings of same species to increase your chance for a female.
I often buy 5 slings of each.
Tarantulas are quite inactive pets with low care requirements and often people compensate with numbers.
Its addictive hobby and I really doubt you will stop at 3.lol
Regards Konstantin

Egon

3 Year Member
Hi there
Nothing wrong starting with few as long as you have done your research.
You may consider multiple slings of same species to increase your chance for a female.
I often buy 5 slings of each.
Tarantulas are quite inactive pets with low care requirements and often people compensate with numbers.
Its addictive hobby and I really doubt you will stop at 3.lol
Regards Konstantin
Thank you. I did consider that because it would be great to have a female G. Pulchripes.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Another option is to buy a more established sling or juvenile. Being older they tend to be a little more resilient. They are more expensive, but if it is properly sexed already, then you may be ahead of the game. And with some experience under your belt, it may help with raising little ones. I have done it both sexed and buying multiples.

I have only been doing this for six months and have 7 tarantulas. At first I would only get Ts 1.25 " or larger. But a few months ago I bought two G.rosea slings about 3/4" . I know they come smaller but that was small enough for me.

Egon

3 Year Member
Another option is to buy a more established sling or juvenile. Being older they tend to be a little more resilient. They are more expensive, but if it is properly sexed already, then you may be ahead of the game. And with some experience under your belt, it may help with raising little ones. I have done it both sexed and buying multiples.

I have only been doing this for six months and have 7 tarantulas. At first I would only get Ts 1.25 " or larger. But a few months ago I bought two G.rosea slings about 3/4" . I know they come smaller but that was small enough for me.
Most sites seem to only sell small slings. PM me your recommendations.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have juvenile GBBs and Tlitocatl vagans, male and female, if you are interested, 4" approximately.

I also have 3/4" G pulchripes and C versicolor slings, and can gift you a T albopilosus sling, but unfortunately no A hentzi.

Might I suggest a bit of reading if you are going to get into avicularia as a newb

Last edited:

Egon

3 Year Member
I appreciate everyone's great insights and help. I wanted to let you know that I ordered a G. Pulchripes and B. Smithi and added a A. Hentzi as a freebie.

I feel as prepared as possible from all of my research, and understand that growing them out is a slow, years-long process even though of course I won't know what it feels like until I'm in the middle of it.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Thats great buddy.
If you have any questions in future please don't hesitate to ask.
Also when you have the enclosures ready you can post pics so we can give you some feedback and advice.
With small slings enclosures on the smaller side seems to work better for me as its easier to keep an eye on your little friends and makes it easier for them to find the pray.
Regards Konstantin

Egon

3 Year Member
Thats great buddy.
If you have any questions in future please don't hesitate to ask.
Also when you have the enclosures ready you can post pics so we can give you some feedback and advice.
With small slings enclosures on the smaller side seems to work better for me as its easier to keep an eye on your little friends and makes it easier for them to find the pray.
Regards Konstantin
Appreciate it. I ordered the slings with kits, although I think the freebie doesn't come with one. I'll have to get an enclosure together for that one.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on your purchase. Feel free to post some pictures when you get them/ when they are settled in. As was said above, housing setup pictures would be nice too.

Egon

3 Year Member
Here they are. The small deli cup has ventilation on the top and the sides.

Attachments

• 68F7893D-00AD-47F2-BEDE-046CF663FFA0.jpeg
    68F7893D-00AD-47F2-BEDE-046CF663FFA0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 15BDFD25-CA99-4975-A5E8-6D45F2D70C27.jpeg
    15BDFD25-CA99-4975-A5E8-6D45F2D70C27.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10