• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spiderling very weak after molting

Fangz

3 Year Member
My Lasiodora parahybana spiderling molted a few days ago. I didn't see the actual molt, but, found the exoskeleton and it looked fine.
I left him/her alone to recover and checked him/her today to see if s/he was ready to eat and s/he seems very weak and unresponsive, which is unusual, normally even right after molting s/he's moving around more than that.
His/her abdomen isn't shrunken.
The enclosure is humid enough.

The weather has cooled considerably over the last week or so, but, still it's not that cold (Southern California). I have put the enclosure under a light to warm it a little to see if that makes any difference. I put a cloth over the enclosure to keep it fairly dark so, hopefully, s/he'll feel more secure. I'm keeping an eye on things so it doesn't get too warm (I don't really think that's a possibility, it's not that close to the light, but, just to be safe), but, I don't want to stress him/her.

Thank you.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Lasiodora parahybana spiderling molted a few days ago. I didn't see the actual molt, but, found the exoskeleton and it looked fine.
I left him/her alone to recover and checked him/her today to see if s/he was ready to eat and s/he seems very weak and unresponsive, which is unusual, normally even right after molting s/he's moving around more than that.
His/her abdomen isn't shrunken.
The enclosure is humid enough.

The weather has cooled considerably over the last week or so, but, still it's not that cold (Southern California). I have put the enclosure under a light to warm it a little to see if that makes any difference. I put a cloth over the enclosure to keep it fairly dark so, hopefully, s/he'll feel more secure. I'm keeping an eye on things so it doesn't get too warm (I don't really think that's a possibility, it's not that close to the light, but, just to be safe), but, I don't want to stress him/her.

Thank you.
Hello
I have kept all lasiodora specimens I have the same,not humid dry substrate and a water dish. A photo might help someone to give a better explanation on your current predicament, hope to see a photo soon.

Fangz

3 Year Member
LP.jpg

Sorry, not great picture, but, the best I could do at the moment. Seemed a little perkier, after being under the light (I think, could just be wishful thinking).
His/her sibling is under the same conditions and is doing great (but, that one was always more active/outgoing/aggressive than this one....)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 7482

Sorry, not great picture, but, the best I could do at the moment. Seemed a little perkier, after being under the light (I think, could just be wishful thinking).
His/her sibling is under the same conditions and is doing great (but, that one was always more active/outgoing/aggressive than this one....)
It could just be recuperating,a molt takes a lot out of them. Do read up on general care on these,since I have found lasiodora to be extremely hardy specimens.

Fangz

3 Year Member
I haven't actually offered food, I was just checking because in the past they've eaten a few days after molting and I noticed that s/he wasn't acting normal.
This one is much more shy than the other one, but, still usually more active than s/he is right now. Just seems very weak :(

Is it possible it could take longer to recover from a molt if the weather is cooler? Does their exoskeleton harden faster when it's warmer?
Thank you.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I haven't actually offered food, I was just checking because in the past they've eaten a few days after molting and I noticed that s/he wasn't acting normal.
This one is much more shy than the other one, but, still usually more active than s/he is right now. Just seems very weak :(

Is it possible it could take longer to recover from a molt if the weather is cooler? Does their exoskeleton harden faster when it's warmer?
Thank you.
As they grow,recovery time is extended thus taking more out of them. Just keep an eye on it,they tend to like warmer temps than colder ones and dryer substrate with a water dish.

Fangz

3 Year Member
Seems to be back to normal...........Sorry.....I panicked:oops:.

It seems that you (Martin Oosthuysen) think that the humidity may be too high?

I did research the species before I acquired them and it said they need up to 60-75% humidity. I do try to keep it at the upper level since they are just babies (they were about 1/4" when I got them, now they are just over 11/2 ").

Their enclosure is (approx.) 11 x 71/2 and 23/4 deep. The substrate is coconut fiber with some moss and smooth rocks. They have a plastic flower pot "cave" I like to keep a dry area and an area that is damp so they can choose what is more comfortable for them at the time. I do moisten more of the moss when they are getting ready to molt.
They do have a shallow water dish (haven't seen either one of them use it, though).
In the morning there is a little (just above the substrate line) condensation in the damp area (this is also where I see them a lot of time in the morning, maybe drinking)?

Do you think this is too much?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Seems to be back to normal...........Sorry.....I panicked:oops:.

It seems that you (Martin Oosthuysen) think that the humidity may be too high?

I did research the species before I acquired them and it said they need up to 60-75% humidity. I do try to keep it at the upper level since they are just babies (they were about 1/4" when I got them, now they are just over 11/2 ").

Their enclosure is (approx.) 11 x 71/2 and 23/4 deep. The substrate is coconut fiber with some moss and smooth rocks. They have a plastic flower pot "cave" I like to keep a dry area and an area that is damp so they can choose what is more comfortable for them at the time. I do moisten more of the moss when they are getting ready to molt.
They do have a shallow water dish (haven't seen either one of them use it, though).
In the morning there is a little (just above the substrate line) condensation in the damp area (this is also where I see them a lot of time in the morning, maybe drinking)?

Do you think this is too much?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
Keeping 60-70 % humidity is what you'd use on arboreal tarantulas,why I don't agree is that the specimen likes it dry and will utilize a dish if need be. If you're scared that the T might drown,you could put pebbles in. Terrestrial tarantulas will drink or soak up water via the toe tips,where arboreal tarantulas can't and take in via water dish or humidity and lastly via food source. This is how I have kept all my lasiodora specimens,but in the end it is up to you the keeper.

Fangz

3 Year Member
Thank you. I'll dry it out.

All the information I found on them said they lived in the rainforest (If I remember correctly one site even recommended 85% humidity)
They do seem to prefer the drier area usually ( though, the larger one was in the damp area earlier today).
The water dish is very shallow, they'd be able to walk right out of it, so I don't think there's any danger of drowning.

Thank you.

Latest posts