• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spiderling curly haired tarantular

Noodles

Hi,

We recently got a tiny spiderling. He/she is still in a tiny pot with substrate. I am terrified of doing something wrong. This morning he looks so different to how he did yesterday. He seems fluffy? He was still when I lifted his pot. He usually burrows. Panicked I opened the pot to touch his leg and he moved so is alive. I fed him 2 fruit flies at the beginning of the week which he ate. I'm wondering why he is more still and on top of the substrate???

Attachments

• 20211105_063528.jpg
    20211105_063528.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 8

x_raphael_xx

Hi,

We recently got a tiny spiderling. He/she is still in a tiny pot with substrate. I am terrified of doing something wrong. This morning he looks so different to how he did yesterday. He seems fluffy? He was still when I lifted his pot. He usually burrows. Panicked I opened the pot to touch his leg and he moved so is alive. I fed him 2 fruit flies at the beginning of the week which he ate. I'm wondering why he is more still and on top of the substrate???
It will be obvious if they pass, as they curl up on their fronts (if they curl up on their backs they are molting and should be left well alone)
Sometimes they like to burrow, sometimes they sit on top. One of mine has dug a very nice burrow, but doesn't ever sit in it, she just likes to dig.
Tarantulas do not move a lot, they are ambush predators and wait for prey to come to them.

Its difficult, especially when new, but put the pot down, and walk away lol.

Noodles

It will be obvious if they pass, as they curl up on their fronts (if they curl up on their backs they are molting and should be left well alone)
Sometimes they like to burrow, sometimes they sit on top. One of mine has dug a very nice burrow, but doesn't ever sit in it, she just likes to dig.
Tarantulas do not move a lot, they are ambush predators and wait for prey to come to them.

Its difficult, especially when new, but put the pot down, and walk away lol.
Oh!!! We are brand new to this. Thank you for your response. I'm just so worried that I'm not caring for him properly. Thanks again x

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This species is pretty hearty. I am sure it is just settling in. Feed it once a week. Fruit flies are OK. Not the best nutrition, but they provoke a hunting response, tend not to rot if not eaten, and won't disturb your baby when molting.

Noodlelove

Hi,

You're such a nervous mom. I am too. But when I read yours I realize that when I do this I'm just not understanding spiders, understand what to do and accept them and learn from them lol

Latest posts