• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

soo kinda need some help deciding

kaz

3 Year Member
So as we all know Christmas is soon to be about and I know what I'm going to be asking for.If we have any money left after buying for the kids that is, I just may get lucky!!

I was wondering what I could get to house in a large arboreal setup. Any thoughts on looks etc and one that's not just going to end up hiding at every given moment. I like the P.regalis and I do like the gooty besides all the hype I am a big fan of the blue. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
P. metallica (Gooty) is a lovely T to have. I've had mine from a tiny sling and have really enjoyed watching those colours develop but all pokies have beautiful patterns and are in view a lot of the time. Another I love for its colour is the O. diamantinensis, similar to a GBB but not as big, a prolific webber but doesn't hide away. Of course there are lots of lovely Avics to choose from or the Tapinauchenius but they are very quick

kaz

3 Year Member
ohh cool thanks I like the look of the O. diamantinensis. Is it newer to the hobby doesn't seem a great deal about it. And I was recently lookin at the purple tree spider, think I may get one regardless the bloke I bought my irminia from is selling them for a fiver.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P. metallica (Gooty) is a lovely T to have. I've had mine from a tiny sling and have really enjoyed watching those colours develop but all pokies have beautiful patterns and are in view a lot of the time. Another I love for its colour is the O. diamantinensis, similar to a GBB but not as big, a prolific webber but doesn't hide away. Of course there are lots of lovely Avics to choose from or the Tapinauchenius but they are very quick
I wish my regalis would show herself more often. Maybe I need to put her in something smaller, or put more natural cover in there, but she only comes out in the dark, when it's quiet. My metallica has been much better about showing herself. Kaz have you thought about a Thrixopelma ockerti? I'm not sure how others are, but a youtuber named Tom Moran says his is out all the time. I'm looking to get a P campbridgei but I believe they hide as much as the irminias do, except at night, from what I've seen anyway. Avic amazonica looks good too, I want one..

kaz

3 Year Member
ohh I do like the Avic amazonica and Thrixopelma ockerti they do look rather stunning. I may have to bare them in mind. I think so far I would go straight for the Metallica if it wasn't for the fact that they seem to be the most pricey!! Thanks for your ideas!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
ohh cool thanks I like the look of the O. diamantinensis. Is it newer to the hobby doesn't seem a great deal about it. And I was recently lookin at the purple tree spider, think I may get one regardless the bloke I bought my irminia from is selling them for a fiver.

The O. diamantinensis is fairly new but mine has been easy to keep, great feeder and I have both the T.violaceus and gigas, again great feeders and webbers. I only bought 1 T.violaceus but they sent me 2.

kaz

3 Year Member
soo many to choose from, especially when i I should only get one for now. I think ill get a T.violaceus regardless. IV looked into them before. Probably do some more searches on the others suggested and narrow a few down, wish me luck haha!!!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
soo many to choose from, especially when i I should only get one for now. I think ill get a T.violaceus regardless. IV looked into them before. Probably do some more searches on the others suggested and narrow a few down, wish me luck haha!!!

The reason most people buy more than one at a time is to get more out of the shipping costs.

kaz

3 Year Member
yea was gna ask the seller I got my irminia from about that hes selling the purple tree spiders at £5 and the Metallica for £24 he posts at £3.30 may have to buy them both if they stick about. He's had the Metallica's posted for a little while!!

micheldied

3 Year Member
I would grab that 24 pound P. metallica in a heartbeat. Whether or not your pokie is going to hide is probably a very individualistic thing.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
is that a good price seen em for £25 on thespidershop website. Its only bout 2cm.

That's about right on UK sites but you can get them for £20 in Poland

I like the Ghost Ornamental myself (Poecilotheria pederseni‎)

That's P. vittata now and yes they are beautiful.

micheldied

3 Year Member
is that a good price seen em for £25 on thespidershop website. Its only bout 2cm.

I know they're cheaper in Europe, but I'd pay more than double that here in Canada. I think that's a pretty decent price for where you're at.

Latest posts