• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some infos...

Chaina Alex

3 Year Member
Hello,
I`m a new owner of a tarantula that i don`t know anything about (got it from someone who moved out from country). Just trying to find out some things about it, like, what species is, food, water and what to put inside the tank. I`m sorry for my bad english, but didn`t find another forum like this in my country. If you are kind to give me some infos, please try to do it with common words cuz i`m kinda noob ...
Thanks a lot!
19620246_1529190373791436_5069676707945348569_o.jpg
19679132_1529188343791639_4592986214668651942_o.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK so what you have there is a Brachypelma boheimi (Mexican blood leg is a commin term often used). You have a good size enclosure but I would recommend losing all stones and gravel and as @Shampain has already said, a cork shelter and some coco fibre/spider life mix would be a lot better. Stones and gravel are usually a no no cos if your T falls, it could damage the spider and if the abdomen is ruptured, that is usually game over I am afraid. Aim for 4 inches of substrate (at least) if you can. Lovely looking spider btw.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think the cage is much to large for that size. You'll want something just over twice his leg span.

And as the others said, add a hide, water dish, and change out the gravel for more dirt. I'd leave a couple of the larger rocks for decoration.

Chaina Alex

3 Year Member
I'm at work on 3rd shift. She has water and 2 bugs inside, gonna fullfill the rest of the tips tomorrow, and come back with some updates. Gonna keep the tank, want as much space for her (someone told me that she might be a female).
BTW, is she venomous?
Thanks a lot guys for infos! You are awsome, keep it comming :)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All tarantulas have venom. However, your species, as Phil indicated, is a breed from Mexico. Tarantulas that originate in the Western Hemisphere have very low potency venom. To you, it would feel like a bee sting and maybe some swelling at the site. However, New World tarantulas, like your spider, have urticating hairs on their back legs and abdomen. These hairs are barbed and can be very irritating--especially to mucous membranes. Some people have severe skin reactions from these hairs.....And while your tarantula is a beauty, Brachypelma Boehemi is a well known hair kicker. Good luck. In general, these tarantulas live a long life (20 years for females) and are rather expensive in the States.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm at work on 3rd shift. She has water and 2 bugs inside, gonna fullfill the rest of the tips tomorrow, and come back with some updates. Gonna keep the tank, want as much space for her (someone told me that she might be a female).
BTW, is she venomous?
Thanks a lot guys for infos! You are awsome, keep it comming :)
if keeping the tank, you can "fill" with more hides and artificial plants etc. We (humans) often have larger more elaborate tanks for our own benefit and to make a feature but the spider really does have very basic requirements. A hide, water, food and substrate to sit on is all they need in a tank really. BTW I would also get rid of the Cactus...lol.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think the cage is much to large for that size. You'll want something just over twice his leg span.

And as the others said, add a hide, water dish, and change out the gravel for more dirt. I'd leave a couple of the larger rocks for decoration.
Cage size is a myth. How ever there should be places for it to hide and feel safe

Chaina Alex

3 Year Member
I've improvised something for now, untill i get more money next week. Gotta get rid of the cactus, and hope for tomorrow to change the substrat, trying to find something suitable for her in this small town...
BTW thx a lot for tips and help! Keep it comming guys.
Oh... And i guess this post should have been better on "Introduction" section, my bad...

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've improvised something for now, untill i get more money next week. Gotta get rid of the cactus, and hope for tomorrow to change the substrat, trying to find something suitable for her in this small town...
BTW thx a lot for tips and help! Keep it comming guys.
Oh... And i guess this post should have been better on "Introduction" section, my bad...
Doesnt have to be anything fancy. Has long as its safe for the T

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cage size is a myth. How ever there should be places for it to hide and feel safe
I agree, I once had my A. Geniculata in a 190 litre corner aquarium that I converted for her. It was large and elaborate full of roots and plants etc, looked awesome but as my collection grew (now 157) having single Ts in tanks that size was simp,y not sustainable. ...I am convinced she is p!ssed off with me now she is "only" in a 70 litre aquarium....lol

Chaina Alex

3 Year Member
I agree, I once had my A. Geniculata in a 190 litre corner aquarium that I converted for her. It was large and elaborate full of roots and plants etc, looked awesome but as my collection grew (now 157) having single Ts in tanks that size was simp,y not sustainable. ...I am convinced she is p!ssed off with me now she is "only" in a 70 litre aquarium....lol
Went to 2 pet shops today, didn't find something nice, and what was there was expensive, so i might just go in the forest and get a nice log for her + some plants

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ugly, changed the water and she spread the hair on my hand, she's naked and ugly. I'm afraid to touch her...
What we mean when we ask what the abdomen is like is that it can tell you if your spider is getting ready to molt. When spiders enter pre-molt they stop eating, typically hide, and do nothing until they shed their exoskeleton/skin. Sub-adult spiders, like yours, can go into pre-molt and behave "antisocially" for a week or up to 3 months. Their abdomen sometimes gives them away. It will loose hair on the top and back in pre-molt. And just before molting, the bare spot turns darker. When they finally molt, they usually flip over on their backs with their legs up and stay that way for approximately one day until they flip back over and their old shell is left behind. Consider watching Jon3800 videos on all subjects tarantula. He will give you a good education and comes across like a nice friendly guy.

Chaina Alex

3 Year Member
What we mean when we ask what the abdomen is like is that it can tell you if your spider is getting ready to molt. When spiders enter pre-molt they stop eating, typically hide, and do nothing until they shed their exoskeleton/skin. Sub-adult spiders, like yours, can go into pre-molt and behave "antisocially" for a week or up to 3 months. Their abdomen sometimes gives them away. It will loose hair on the top and back in pre-molt. And just before molting, the bare spot turns darker. When they finally molt, they usually flip over on their backs with their legs up and stay that way for approximately one day until they flip back over and their old shell is left behind. Consider watching Jon3800 videos on all subjects tarantula. He will give you a good education and comes across like a nice friendly guy.
That's exactly what i was watching a minute ago, sorry that you had to write it down. And yeah, most of the hair from abdomen and back is gone, and it has some dark brown spots, about half of the "butt". Should i just leave it like that for a while, or i can change the substrat tomorrow, so i get rid of the gravle? I think i'm more stressed that she is lol. Just want the best for her, as i promissed to old owner
Edit: i know i'm not allowed to move her when in molt, just wanna make sure if i can change substrat in pre-molt.

Last edited:

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd get either @kormath or @Enn49 opinion. They are much more learned than I. Their advice is better than mine. But I'll give it a shot.
In my humble opinion, I'd give your spider a hide first. An easy option is to take a 16 ounce opaque plastic cup, cut out the bottom and about 40% of the side. Bury the exposed ends in your non-gravel substrate. If your tarantula is in pre-molt (likely), then take out the feeders (they can harm it) and wait on the gravel change. I'll bet your tarantula finds the hide, closes the doors, and puts up the "Do not disturb sign". :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, give her a hide of some sort, cork bark is ideal, half a broken clay plant pot or a plastic one cut down will do. Otherwise leave her alone for a while to settle down after her move. If her bald patches darken it is a sign she's about to moult and she won't want to be disturbed but if she doesn't darken then the hair kicking could just be due to stress.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Went to 2 pet shops today, didn't find something nice, and what was there was expensive, so i might just go in the forest and get a nice log for her + some plants
If you get any type log/wood from the forest, make sure you pour boiling water over it first to get rid of any unwanted Parasites, which can be harmful to your T, Then place wood in the freezer for 24hrs if you are able to do this, this should kill any parasites.:):T: