• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some good news!! Successful rehousing of C Versicolor

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can see here that all went well. Be sure to read the video description for a few other nitty gritty details too.

She was my first tarantula, sorta like the test pilot or alpha tester!! The horror of the dreaded mantis cage has been rectified. As soon as she settles down and webs it up, feeding will resume.

I'm still not sure if I'll be using the screen or the front door for feeding. The nano is a great final home and should easily support her all to her adult size which is probably about 4 to 5 inches without blarney or 6 to 9 inches with blarney, however you add it up!!

I just go with more conservative numbers.

20180215_155157.jpg
20180215_155143.jpg

Enjoy the show!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Extreme safe rehouse! :) lanyards on the cup and lid and everything! bravo! :)

Extreme safe rehouse! :) lanyards on the cup and lid and everything! bravo! :)

They are just twist ties for plastic bags in my case. The reason I did this wasn't just for this spider but mainly if I have to rehouse a hotter or more difficult spider in the future, another words if my pokie seriously outgrows her home.

It was also much easier then taking the entire cage into the bathroom because it's much heavier and more unwieldy.

I've never seen this done before but I'm sure someone else had done it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of course, you still have to get the spider into the catch cup in the first place.

Now comes the boring part, waiting for the web so I can resume feeding. I'll know if this is a good fit after a week.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I opened up the top of the old cage, removed the web and she walked right up and out. She always goes up.

If the web is left alone, she doesn't move, very predictable. Without the web, she's spastic.

The concept is like pouring water in a glass but upside down.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, I got a web from her and tossed in a mealworm. I'm not sure if she ate it yet or where her final location will be. She made a web but is still wandering around.

I noticed that when I got up to go to work and turned on the lights. Her current location has less lighting than the last one. Plus it's a bigger cage.

I'll give it a week or two.

I haven't seen the mealworm, but she could've just cut it loose like sometimes when she's in premolt.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Very nice rehousing :) Easy and safe for the spider.
Beautiful individual as well - I love how she was like "Hmm... Should I... Nah, back into the cup" at first. :D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She is still mulling over her preferred location and has placed starter webs in 2 or 3 places. It'll be interesting to see the layout but I think I'll know more in a few days.

You never know exactly what they'll come up with.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yikes!!

Don't jinx me!! Yes she's a pretty docile spider and the technique is overkill for her type. For a hotter one, I think it'll save a lot of trouble.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Being in Australia, all my tarantula will be OW , so Im paying attention to peoples rehousing vids. My wife laughs that I bought tarantulas, these rehousing vids look like me removing a huntsman from the bedroom! Lol
She's the one that just picks spiders up, I look like I'm moving nitroglycerin.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Being in Australia, all my tarantula will be OW , so Im paying attention to peoples rehousing vids. My wife laughs that I bought tarantulas, these rehousing vids look like me removing a huntsman from the bedroom! Lol
She's the one that just picks spiders up, I look like I'm moving nitroglycerin.

Buried in this article is a bite report. Like tarantulas the fangs can probably cause mechanical damage even in a dry bite. Females guarding the eggs can be aggressive.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-an...uge-but-just-how-deadly-are-huntsman-spiders/

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update:

Surprise molt!! I carefully added a bit of moisture because I'm not sure if she had located the water dish yet.

Despite my freakout, she seems to be fine but I still can't confirm the sex. The old molt was to damaged and quite small. I'll get some pics in a day or so.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I noticed there is some new red or pink coloration.

The camera didn't catch it, to bad.

There's already some webbing and her abdomen is larger. The extra moisture was definitely appreciated. There's no clear camera angle and I don't want to move her around.

The legs are still expanding so I'm not sure if the final size. They're probably 80 percent done.

Last edited:

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Buried in this article is a bite report. Like tarantulas the fangs can probably cause mechanical damage even in a dry bite. Females guarding the eggs can be aggressive.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-an...uge-but-just-how-deadly-are-huntsman-spiders/
I have been bitten by a huntsman on the inside of my arm when moving cardboard one day. I have the pics somewhere on pc. Very large inflamed puncture sites but no ill effects apart from being sore and itchy.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, I got some pics before work, including ventral shots. I'm leaning towards male at this point, but not sure. The green stripes on the underside of the front legs are totally new.

C Versicolor molt 2-18-18 1.jpg
C Versicolor molt 2-18-18 3.jpg
C Versicolor sexing 1.jpg
C Versicolor sexing 2.jpg
C Versicolor sexing 3.jpg
C versicolor molt 2-18-18 2.jpg
C versicolor molt 2-18-18 4.jpg

The newly molted legs are tantalizing. I'm not going to chase her into the open until she hardens up. She popped up in a corner where the photos could be taken.